This crockpot BBQ chicken is chicken breasts coated in a homemade spice rub and barbecue sauce, then simmered in the slow cooker until tender. Shred your chicken, then serve it on sandwich buns, over a salad or on top of pizza or pasta!
On days when I know I’m going to be really busy, I make crockpot BBQ chicken. It has just a handful of ingredients, can be eaten in so many different ways, and it’s a total crowd pleaser.
How do you make crockpot BBQ chicken?
This recipe starts with boneless skinless chicken breasts, which are coated in spice rub, then placed in a slow cooker along with some chicken broth. Cook the chicken until it’s super tender. Discard any liquid from the pot, then shred the chicken with two forks and toss it in barbecue sauce. Serve, and enjoy!
Tips for the perfect barbecue chicken
- I typically use chicken breasts for this recipe because I always have them on hand. You can also use chicken thighs. This cooking technique works great with beef and pork if you’re looking for a little different flavor.
- I strongly recommend that you use my homemade BBQ spice rub for this recipe. That being said, if you don’t have time to make your own rub, your favorite store bought version will also work just fine.
- Use your favorite brand of BBQ sauce, or if you have the time, make your own!
- This pulled chicken can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a large crowd. The chicken stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, and can be frozen for up to 2 months.
Can you put frozen chicken in the crockpot?
You can use frozen chicken breasts in this recipe in a pinch. If you’re starting with frozen chicken, be sure to cook it on high rather than low heat so that it comes up to the appropriate temperature at a faster rate; this will eliminate any risk of food safety concerns.
How to serve crockpot BBQ chicken
This chicken is a super versatile meal that can be served in so many different ways!
- Sandwiches: Toast a bun, then add a scoop of BBQ chicken. You can add other toppings such as cheese, lettuce, tomato, bacon or even coleslaw.
- Main Course: Place a serving of chicken over mashed potatoes. Drizzle with extra sauce and serve with corn on the cob and biscuits.
- Pasta: Toss BBQ chicken into pasta along with bacon, tomatoes, cheese and green onions.
- Salad: Make a BBQ chicken salad for a lighter dinner option.
- Soup: Stir leftover chicken into chili, either homemade or store bought.
- Pizza: Top a prepared pizza crust with BBQ sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, chicken and red onions. Bake, then add a sprinkle of fresh chopped cilantro or green onions.
Once you try this easy crockpot chicken, you’ll find yourself making it all the time! With just a handful of ingredients, this chicken is quick to put together and is always a hit with adults and children alike.
More fabulous slow cooker recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Drumsticks
- Crockpot Chili
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs (Slow Cooker)
- Slow Cooker Pork Tenderloin
- Ham and Bean Soup (Slow Cooker)
Crockpot BBQ Chicken
Crockpot BBQ Chicken
- Coat the interior of a 4, 5 or 6 quart crockpot with cooking spray.
- Coat the chicken breasts in the BBQ rub.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Pour the chicken broth into the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low, or until chicken is very tender.
- Drain off the liquid. Shred the chicken with two forks. Stir in the BBQ sauce, then serve.