This slow cooker chili is a blend of beef, beans, tomatoes and spices, all simmered together in the crock pot for a rich and hearty dish. Crock pot chili is perfect for parties and any occasion where you need to feed a crowd!
If you’re a chili fan, you’re in the right place. This slow cooker chili is the best I’ve ever had. Looking for more chili ideas? Don’t miss my comprehensive list of 75 slow cooker chili recipes!
There’s nothing like a good bowl of chili. There are so many different ways to make chili, but this slow cooker chili is about as classic as it gets. This recipe makes a big batch, which means it’s great for a party, or you can freeze some for another night!
How do you make slow cooker chili?
The first step in making this chili is to brown your ground beef. The beef needs to be at least partially cooked before it goes into the slow cooker so that it won’t all stick together in one big clump. The rest of the ingredients including onions, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, spices, and beef broth go into the pot, then it’s time to let everything simmer away!
Tips for crock pot chili
- I use 90% lean ground beef. It’s got plenty of flavor without all the extra grease.
- I pre-measure my spices the night before, which makes prep time go a lot quicker when I’m trying to get everything in the slow cooker in the morning.
- This recipe makes for great leftovers and meal prep. It can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to one month.
- Serve your chili with plenty of toppings such as grated cheese, sour cream, onions, tomato or even bacon crumbles.
Slow cooker chili variations
While this is a classic version of chili, there are many ways to customize it to your tastes.
- Turkey: Use ground turkey instead of the beef.
- Beanless: Use 2 1/2 pounds ground beef and omit the beans.
- Spicy: Add 1-2 tablespoons of hot sauce to taste.
- Three Bean: Use a total of 3 1/2 cups of black beans, pinto beans and kidney beans.
- Meat Lovers: Use 2 1/2 lbs of cubed and browned stew meat instead of the ground beef.
Stove Top Chili
If you don’t want to wait for your chili to simmer all day in the crock pot, you can make this recipe on the stove instead. Simply brown the meat and onions, then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer over low heat for one hour.
What to serve with slow cooker chili
Cornbread is the classic side dish for chili, and my honey cornbread recipe is the best of the best! Other great options include garlic knots or cheese bombs. This chili is also great served over a baked potato, on a hot dog, or poured over french fries. There are so many different ways to enjoy chili and you just can’t go wrong!
More great slow cooker recipes
- Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
- Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala
- Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup
Slow Cooker Chili Video
Slow Cooker Chili
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 pounds ground beef I use 90% lean
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes do not drain
- 3 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt divided use
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 15 ounce cans dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- cheese, sour cream and green onions for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the beef and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until beef is browned and cooked through.
- Place the ground beef in the slow cooker along with the onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, cocoa powder, sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Stir to combine, then cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. Add the beans and cook for an additional 20 minutes until beans are warmed through. Serve immediately.
We love this recipe! So delicious and goes great with our homemade cornbread! Definitely making this again soon!
This slow cooker chili sounds absolutely amazing with all those spices! I especially love the minimal prep and all those variations. Yum!
I love how easy this is in the crockpot. I can leave for a busy day and come home to a delicious meal waiting for me to devour!
The chili to fight for! It can warm you up on a cold lonely day but also it is absolutely enjoyable any day of the year. Fantastic recipe!