This chicken broccoli Alfredo pasta is sauteed chicken breast pieces and fresh broccoli, all tossed in a homemade creamy sauce. A quick and easy dinner option that’s always a big hit with both kids and adults.
You can never go wrong with pasta for dinner, especially when it’s chicken broccoli Alfredo pasta! This dish is loaded with flavor, and can be customized in so many ways to fit your tastes.
How do you make chicken broccoli alfredo?
Cook the pasta in salted boiling water, then add the broccoli florets during the last few minutes of the cook time. While the pasta is cooking, saute pieces of chicken with garlic and Italian seasoning. Remove the chicken from the pan, then make the sauce by simmering butter with heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Toss the pasta, chicken and broccoli with the sauce. Sprinkle with parsley, then serve and enjoy.
Tips for the perfect pasta
- I use boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenders, but chicken thighs will also work just fine.
- This dish is best when served immediately, as the pasta will absorb the sauce as it sits. Leftovers will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Use freshly grated parmesan cheese if possible; it has a lot more flavor than the pre-shredded variety and melts smoothly.
- Be sure to cook your sauce over low heat. Never let it come to a boil or it could separate.
- I think this dish tastes best with fresh broccoli, but it will work with frozen broccoli in a pinch. If you’re using frozen broccoli, add it to the pasta pot during the final minute of the cooking time.
How do you make alfredo sauce?
The sauce for this dish is surprisingly simple to prepare. The cream needs to simmer with butter until the mixture gets thick. Stir in parmesan cheese, along with salt and pepper for a basic, yet flavorful Alfredo sauce. You can always add other flavorings if you prefer. Love a lot of sauce on your pasta? Feel free to double that part of the recipe.
Chicken broccoli alfredo flavor variations
The great thing about this dish is that you can change up the protein and vegetables to make your own creations depending on what you have on hand.
- Protein: Swap out the chicken for cooked ground turkey, shrimp, meatballs or diced ham.
- Vegetables: Instead of broccoli, try a different veggie such as spinach, mushrooms, zucchini, asparagus or diced tomatoes.
- Flavorings: Amp up the flavor by stirring in some olives, capers, sun dried tomatoes, shredded mozzarella cheese or pine nuts.
- Pasta: While this recipe calls for rotini pasta, other types of noodles will work such as penne, rigatoni, fettuccine or fusilli.
Once you try this dish, you’ll find yourself making it on a regular basis. It’s just that good!
More pasta dishes to try
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Pasta al Forno
- Angel Hair Pasta with Garlic and Herbs
- Pasta Puttanesca
- Tuscan Farfalle Pasta
Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Video
Chicken Broccoli Alfredo
- 10 ounces rotini pasta
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 6 tablespoons butter divided use
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- salt and pepper to tastee
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to package directions. Add the broccoli during the last 3 minutes of the cooking time.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Add the chicken to the pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is browned and cooked through.
- Add the garlic and Italian seasoning to the pan and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and cover to keep warm. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium low heat.
- Add the cream and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until just thickened - do not let it boil.
- Whisk in the parmesan cheese, stirring continuously, until cheese has melted.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the pasta, broccoli and chicken in the pan with the sauce. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with parsley, then serve.