This black bean salad is a color and refreshing blend of beans, corn, peppers, herbs and avocado, all tossed in a zesty lime dressing. A quick and easy salad that pairs well with grilled meats, and makes for a perfect light lunch.
How do you make black bean salad?
This recipe starts with canned black beans, which are combined with tomatoes, jalapenos, bell peppers, red onion, cilantro, corn and avocado. Whisk together olive oil, lime juice and spices to make the dressing. Pour the dressing over the bean mixture and toss gently to combine. Serve and enjoy!
Tips for the perfect salad
- Be sure to drain and rinse your beans to remove any excess sodium.
- I typically use frozen thawed corn kernels, but you could use canned corn or even fresh corn off the cob.
- Not a fan of cilantro? Use sliced green onions instead.
- This recipe calls for removing the ribs and seeds from the jalapeno, which results in a mild salad with very little heat. If you prefer a spicier salad, leave some of the ribs and seeds in the peppers.
- I like to use orange bell pepper for added color, but you can use red or yellow pepper if you prefer.
- This salad can be made up to 8 hours before you plan to serve it. If you’re making this dish in advance, omit the avocado, and stir it in right before serving.
Black Bean salad variations
I love to make this recipe as written, but you can absolutely add other ingredients to the mix to customize the flavors to your tastes.
- Protein: Stir in some diced grilled chicken or small cooked shrimp to turn this salad into a main course.
- Vegetables: Feel free to add other vegetables to the mix such as shredded lettuce, diced cucumber, roasted green chiles or grilled zucchini.
- Cheese: I love to add a sprinkling of cheese such as crumbled cotija or cubed pepper jack.
How long does black bean salad last?
Black bean salad will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 8 hours. If you’d like to store the salad for a longer period of time, I would recommend omitting the avocado, as it will start to brown in the salad. Without the avocado, this salad will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Are black beans healthy?
Black beans are relatively low calorie, and are packed with protein and fiber. They contain a variety of nutrients including calcium, magnesium, copper and zinc. This salad is a great choice for a healthier diet considering it consist primarily of nutritious foods including beans and vegetables.
I make this salad regularly – it makes for a satisfying lunch that I can feel good about eating!
More delicious salad options
- White Bean Arugula Salad
- Avocado Tuna Salad
- Apple Kale Salad
- Beet Salad with Avocado and Feta
- Three Bean Salad
Black Bean Salad Video
Black Bean Salad
For the salad
- 2 cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 jalapeno remove seeds and ribs, then mince finely
- 1 cup corn kernels can be fresh, canned or thawed from frozen
- 1 avocado chopped
- 3/4 cup orange bell pepper seeded and finely diced
- 1/3 cup red onion finely diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves chopped
For the dressing
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
For the salad
- Place the beans, tomatoes, jalapeno, corn, avocado, bell pepper, onion and cilantro in a large bowl.
For the dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, honey, chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the bean mixture and toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.