This recipe for Thai fish cakes is sweet and spicy salmon formed into patties and cooked to a golden brown. Serve the fish cakes with a cool cucumber salad and sweet chili dipping sauce for a delicious appetizer or main course!
When I go to Thai restaurants, I often order the fish cakes. They’re delicious crispy patties that come with a light cucumber salad and sweet and savory sauce for dipping. These Thai fish cakes are a recreation of my favorite restaurant dish and they’re a quick and easy way to enjoy salmon!
I am always looking for more ways to incorporate seafood into my family’s diet. The 2016 Dietary Guidelines recommend that seafood should be consumed 2-3 times each week to greatly improve your health. I recently discovered Chicken of the Sea’s Flavored Salmon Pouches and now I always have some in the pantry! They come in lots of great flavors and are perfect on top of salads, in sandwiches or even eaten straight out of the pouch for a quick protein boost. They’re the ideal way for busy families to eat more fish. I used the Sweet & Spicy Salmon Pouches to create this fish cakes recipe.
How do you make Thai fish cakes?
Now, the standard Thai fish cakes you find in restaurants are often made with raw fish that’s been ground up in the food processor, then shaped and cooked. Using this Sweet & Spicy Salmon cuts the prep time down on this dish to just 10 minutes, and you can have dinner on the table in a total of 20 minutes! The flavors are similar to the restaurant version but with far less work. The salmon is combined with breadcrumbs, egg, red curry paste and cilantro, then formed into patties and cooked in a pan. Since this salmon is so flavorful on its own, the only other seasoning added is the curry paste. You can find small jars of curry paste in the ethnic foods section of most grocery stores. I kept these patties on the milder side, but if you like a lot of spice, feel free to add more curry paste!
I make my own Thai cucumber salad to go with these fish cakes. Typically I make the salad, put it in the fridge to chill, then start my fish cakes. I use a pre-prepared Thai sweet chili sauce which I also found in the ethnic foods aisle of my grocery store.
I love that Chicken of the Sea has made it so much easier to eat seafood. The Flavored Salmon Pouches have become my go-to source for high quality protein, in fact, I have one on top of a salad for lunch every week! These Thai fish cakes are a great way to serve up a quick and healthful dinner that’s packed with flavor. There’s no need to call for take out when you can make your own at home!
MORE SALMON RECIPES YOU’LL ENJOY
Thai Fish Cakes
- 4 packets Chicken of the Sea® Sweet & Spicy Flavored Salmon Pouches
- 5 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Thai cucumber salad for serving
- Sweet chili sauce for serving
- Place the contents of the salmon packets into a large bowl. Stir in the panko, egg, curry paste, cilantro and egg until thoroughly incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- Shape the fish mixture into 3 patties (having damp hands helps!). Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place the patties in the skillet and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side or until cooked through and lightly browned.
- Serve immediately, with Thai cucumber salad and sweet chili sauce on the side.
I am an official ambassador for Chicken of the Sea. Chicken of the Sea provided me with Flavored Salmon Pouches for the purpose of this post, as well as compensation for my time. As always, all opinions expressed in this post are mine.