This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
These thai chicken tacos are a quick and easy dinner. Coconut marinated chicken is stuffed into warm tortillas with fresh vegetables and a generous amount of homemade peanut sauce. Your whole family will love this fun variation on taco night!
You may have noticed that things were a bit quiet over here last week – that’s because I took a break from cooking and blogging and instead went on vacation to Disneyland! We had an amazing time despite the 95+ degree weather every. single. day. But never fear, I spent most of the weekend creating new recipes for you and we will now officially return to our regularly scheduled programming! So let’s talk about tacos – thai chicken tacos to be exact.
Back before I had kids (and before the Pinterest era) I used to do all of my cooking out of cookbooks. I had this 100% authentic thai food cookbook (the author even advocated making your own coconut milk out of fresh coconuts!) and I used to have fun tracking down all of the specialty ingredients to make my own curry pastes and other thai specialties. Then came the kids and my cooking got a whole lot simpler. These thai chicken tacos do not require any specialty ingredients, the flavors may not be 100% authentic but they’re certainly delicious and make for a quick and easy meal.
These tacos start with chicken that gets flavored with a coconut and soy sauce marinade. The chicken is grilled and layered into tortillas with shredded cabbage, carrots and cucumbers. The tacos are finished off with a generous drizzle of peanut sauce and some cilantro. The flavors are fresh and light and guaranteed to make your family happy.
I like to prepare the components of this recipe earlier in the day – I put the chicken in the marinade, cut up all the veggies and make the peanut sauce. At dinner time all I have to do is cook the chicken and assemble the tacos!
These thai chicken tacos are the next best thing to takeout from a thai restaurant and I’m sure they’re healthier too. The slightly sweet coconut chicken pairs so well with the crunchy vegetables and rich creamy peanut sauce. This is a dinner that’s going on repeat at my house and I’m sure it will at your house too.
Thai Chicken Tacos
- For the chicken taco:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk light is fine
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons of minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons of minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup of shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup of shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup of thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 8 small flour tortillas soft taco size
- salt and pepper to taste
- lime wedges for garnish if desired
- For the peanut sauce:
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut milk light is fine
- 2 teaspoons of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of water
- For the chicken:
- Combine the coconut milk, soy sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, garlic and ginger in a large resealable bag. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour, up to 8 hours.
- Heat an outdoor grill, indoor grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper, place on grill/skillet and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side or until done. Cut the cooked chicken into cubes (approximately 1/2 inch in size)
- For the peanut sauce:
- Combine all of the ingredients in the food processor and process until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble:
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave. Place the tortillas in a row assembly line style. To each tortilla add 2 tablespoons of shredded cabbage, 1 tablespoon of shredded carrots, 1 tablespoon of cucumber and approximately 1/4 cup of chicken. Top with a generous drizzle of peanut sauce and a few cilantro leaves. Serve immediately with lime wedges if desired.
Make Ahead: The carrots and cabbage can be shredded a day in advance. The peanut sauce can be made up to 3 days in advance.