This peanut butter chocolate gooey butter cake is a chocolate cake base topped with peanut butter cups and a layer of gooey peanut butter topping. A decadent and easy chocolate peanut butter cake that’s perfect for feeding a crowd.
If you love peanut butter cups, you’ll adore this cake! I make it for birthday parties, potlucks, or any time I’ve got a craving for that chocolate peanut butter flavor combination. Be sure to visit my list of 10 peanut butter recipes for more amazing treat ideas!
A good dessert can take a bad day and make it something extraordinary. Ok, maybe that’s an exaggeration but this chocolate gooey butter cake is that good! This decadent and easy dessert is a total crowd pleaser that both the adults and kids will enjoy.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CHOCOLATE GOOEY BUTTER CAKE?
To make this gooey butter cake, simply mix up your ingredients for the delicious cake crust and press it firmly into the pan. The best step is next, scatter your peanut butter cups all over the crust before mixing your next set of ingredients.
Once you’ve made your smooth peanut butter mixture, pour it over the peanut butter cups and bake until done. Allow to cool then serve topped with whipped cream and pieces of peanut butter cups. This chocolate peanut butter cake will be a hit no matter when or where you serve it!
This peanut butter cake is rich (in a very good way) so be warned that serving in smaller squares is strongly suggested. Never fear, your gooey butter cake can be frozen for later or even saved for four days in the fridge.
I love serving this peanut butter cake with a lightly sweetened whipped cream and pieces of peanut butter cups. I suggest looking for the bite sized peanut butter cups in the candy aisle. If you can’t locate those, cutting larger peanut butter cups into fourths works as well.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF THE WHIPPED CREAM YOU’RE BUYING IS LIGHTLY SWEETENED?
There are many types of whipped cream products on the market, including aerosol cans, heavy cream in cartons you whip yourself, and frozen whipped topping. Typically whipped topping and the aerosol can whip cream contain sugar. However, to ensure you get the level of sweetness you prefer, I suggest making your own as it’s healthier, easy, and tastier, in my opinion.
HOW LONG WILL CHOCOLATE GOOEY BUTTER CAKE LAST?
If left at room temperature, your cake will last around two days. If refrigerated, it will last around 4 days. If you freeze it, for best taste, eat within the next month or so. Of course, it’s always best to eat the cake the day it’s prepared for the freshest taste.
I promise you that I will end up making this cake quite a few times this year. It was SO easy to make and was a huge hit with my guests. Of course, it was a huge hit with the kids and husband as well, not to mention, I definitely ate my fair share!
MORE PEANUT BUTTER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Peanut Butter Brownies
- No Bake Peanut Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge
- Peanut Butter Eggs
- Best Peanut Butter Lovers Recipes
Peanut Butter Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake
For the crust:
- 18.25 ounces chocolate cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- cooking spray
For the filling:
- 8 ounces mini peanut butter cups
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 16 ounces powdered sugar
- whipped cream and chopped peanut butter cups for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9"x13" pan with cooking spray.
- Place the cake mix, 1 egg and 1/2 cup of butter in the bowl of a mixer. Beat until well blended.
- Press the cake mixture evenly into the bottom of the dish.
- Scatter the peanut butter cups evenly all over the cake layer.
- Place the cream cheese and peanut butter in the bowl of a mixer; beat until smooth.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and butter to the bowl, then mix until well combined.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar with the mixer on low. Mix until just blended.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the cake layer.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool completely, then cut into squares and serve, topped with whipped cream and chopped peanut butter cups if desired.
- Cake can be made up to 3 days before you plan to serve it. Store the cake covered in the refrigerator.
- Cake can be cut into squares and frozen for later use.