This one pot chicken and shrimp gumbo is made with sausage, okra and peppers and is ready in just 30 minutes. Serve over rice or with cornbread for an easy dinner option.
Gumbo is a New Orleans classic and this simple version is loaded with meat and veggies with minimal dishes to clean at the end of the night.
Yes, you read that right. This chicken and shrimp gumbo is actually a 30 minute meal that only uses one pot. AND it’s healthy! It doesn’t get much better than that, does it?
How do you make chicken and shrimp gumbo?
Ok, so this may not be 100% authentic, traditional gumbo but it’s still delicious and all of the key flavors are there. The recipe starts with a basic roux made with oil and flour. After the roux has been cooked until it starts to brown, in goes the onions and pepper. Next we’ve got the cooked chicken, sausage and chicken broth. The shrimp and okra get added in at the very end. And dinner is served!
You can use any cooked chicken you have – I either buy a rotisserie chicken or use leftover chicken. Same goes for the sausage – any mild variety will work. While andouille is traditional, I was worried it might be too spicy for the kids so I used a turkey kielbasa which was an excellent choice.
I cheat and use frozen, pre-cut okra in this gumbo. It saves a lot of prep time and I can’t taste the difference in this case. You can also add a little hot sauce if you like your gumbo with a kick, I left it out to make it more kid friendly.
So speaking of the kids, they really liked this one! I’m not going to lie to you and tell you that they eat okra, because they don’t. But they did enjoy their “chicken and hot dog soup”. I served this gumbo with cornbread on the side. Of course you can always buy cornbread if you’re in a rush, or serve the gumbo with the traditional rice. Any way you serve it, it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser!
More soup recipes you’ll love
One Pot Chicken and Shrimp Gumbo
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 red bell peppers ribs and seeds removed, chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce optional
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 10 ounce package of frozen sliced okra
- 8 ounces smoked pre-cooked sausage such as andouille or kielbasa cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 4 cups of shredded chicken
- 1/2 pound of large shrimp
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat the oil over medium.
- Add flour, and cook, whisking constantly, until pale golden, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in bell peppers, onion, garlic, and oregano; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have started to soften, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, tomato paste and hot sauce if using.
- Stir in the okra, chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to medium. Stir in the shrimp and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp are pink and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.