This ice cream sandwich cake is layers of ice cream sandwiches, whipped topping and candy, all stacked up to form an easy yet super impressive dessert. An ice cream sandwich cake is perfect for summer gatherings, birthday parties and school events!
Anyone can assemble a fun and festive ice cream sandwich cake. All you need is 5 ingredients to make this unexpected treat that tastes as good as it looks.
I have to admit, I’m not much of a baker. I can do your basic cookies and brownies, and I make a pretty decent looking cupcake. But when it comes to cakes, I am WAY out of my league! This fun ice cream sandwich cake looks totally impressive, yet can be made by even the most novice cook. I made it for my daughter’s birthday party and it got rave reviews!
How to make an ice cream sandwich cake
For this cake, you’ll need 12 ice cream sandwiches, 2 tubs of whipped topping, miniature chocolate chips, mini M&M’s and hot fudge sauce. The ice cream sandwiches are topped with layers of the whipped topping and candy, then stacked high.
I use a star shaped piping tip to pipe dollops of whipped topping onto the ice cream sandwiches for a fancier look. You can also just use a spatula to spread the whipped topping if you prefer. I use whipped topping because it’s convenient, but if you’d rather use freshly whipped cream, you can do that too. Just don’t use the kind of whipped cream in an aerosol can, as it will deflate quickly and not hold up to freezing.
For best results, you’ll want to freeze each layer before you stack another layer on top. That will ensure that the whipped topping layers stay firm and don’t slide around as you position your sandwiches. It’s a little more time waiting for each layer to freeze, but definitely worth the extra effort.
I used chocolate chips and M&M’s in between the sandwich layers, but you can really use any add-ins that you want. Other great options are crushed toffee bars, sprinkles, peanut butter cups or even sundae toppings like caramel.
The finishing touches on this cake include a drizzle of fudge and plenty of M&M’s. No fudge on hand? Try using my homemade magic shell recipe instead! This cake can be made up to 3 days before you plan to serve it, which is perfect for when you need to plan ahead.
You might think that a cake made out of ice cream sandwiches would be boring flavor wise, but let me tell you, that’s far from the case. The sandwiches, combined with the whipped topping, candy and fudge, make this cake taste like the ultimate ice cream sundae.
Try this ice cream sandwich cake for your next birthday celebration and watch the rave reviews pour in! For more frozen dessert inspiration, be sure to check out my list of 25 Popsicle Recipes!
- Banana Split Ice Cream Cake
- Tiramisu Ice Cream Cake
- Roasted Figs with Vanilla Ice Cream
- Shamrock Shake Recipe
- Blueberry Milkshake
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- 12 ice cream sandwiches unwrapped
- 16 ounces whipped topping thawed
- 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup mini M&M's
- 1/3 cup fudge sauce
- Place 4 ice cream sandwiches in a row on a serving plate.
- Use a piping bag fitted with a large star tip to pipe dollops of whipped topping over the ice cream sandwiches.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips and M&M's over the layer of whipped topping.
- Freeze until firm.
- Repeat the process with the remaining ice cream sandwiches, whipped topping and candies until you have 3 layers of ice cream sandwiches and 3 layers of whipped topping and candies. Freeze each layer until firm before proceeding with the next layer.
- Freeze the whole cake until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Drizzle the fudge sauce over the top of the cake. Cut into slices then serve.