This crack chicken is creamy ranch flavored chicken that’s cooked in the crock pot until tender. A super easy slow cooker recipe that only contains 3 ingredients.
I make a lot of slow cooker dinners like apricot chicken, beef stroganoff and sloppy joes, but this crack chicken has to be one of our all time favorites. It takes just 5 minutes of prep time and the recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a crowd.
Today we’re talking about crack chicken. You’re probably wondering where it got that unusual name, and the reasoning is, this chicken is so good it’s addictive! You won’t even believe how easy it is to make, simply throw the ingredients in the crock pot and come back later to a delicious meal.
How do you make crack chicken?
This crack chicken has just 3 ingredients – boneless skinless chicken breasts, ranch powder, and cream cheese. Everything goes into the slow cooker and simmers away until the chicken is tender enough to shred into bite sized pieces.
You may be tempted to add some liquid to your crack chicken, but additional liquid is not necessary because the chicken will release juices as it cooks.
Tips for crack chicken
- You can use chicken thighs instead of chicken breast if you prefer.
- Do not use low fat cream cheese, it won’t melt as well as regular cream cheese.
- You can use flavored cream cheese, such as jalapeno or garlic and herb cream cheese, for an extra level of flavor.
How do you shred chicken?
After your chicken is done, simply grab two forks, shred your meat and mix everything together, and dinner is ready! You can serve this crack chicken as-is, but I highly recommend adding a topping of crispy bacon and sliced green onions.
How do you eat crack chicken?
There are so many different ways to eat crack chicken, it’s great in the following preparations
- Piled onto buns
- Served over pasta
- As a pizza topping
- In lettuce wraps
- In a casserole
The most common way to eat crack chicken is in sandwich form. I pile the chicken onto brioche buns and add a slice of cheddar cheese, bacon and green onions for a satisfying meal.
You can add other toppings to your crack chicken to mix things up a bit, some of my favorites are
- Diced tomatoes
- Green chiles
- French fried onions
- Red onion
- Sauteed mushrooms
However you serve your crack chicken, it’s sure to be a big hit! Admittedly this is not the most beautiful dish, but what it lacks in looks, it makes up for in flavor. Your family will certainly agree.
More easy chicken dinners
- Chicken Ranch Tacos
- Monterey Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Shells
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ounce packet ranch seasoning
- 16 ounces cream cheese cut into cubes
- cooked crumbled bacon and green onions for serving optional
- Place the chicken breasts, ranch seasoning and cream cheese in a slow cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Shred the chicken with two forks. Stir until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Serve, topped with bacon and green onions if desired.