These chocolate chip muffins are light and tender muffins studded with plenty of chocolate chips, then finished off with a sprinkle of sugar. These muffins are great for breakfast or a quick grab and go snack, and kids love them!
You can never go wrong with muffins for a portable breakfast option, my family loves cranberry muffins, pumpkin muffins and these fabulous chocolate muffins. Looking for more family friendly breakfast recipes? Be sure to check out my list of 30 Kids Breakfast Ideas!
Muffins are always a great treat, but when you add chocolate chips to the mix, it really takes things over the top! These chocolate chip muffins take just minutes to make, and have plenty of chocolate flavor to please both kids and adults.
How do you make chocolate chip muffins?
First make the muffin batter by mixing together flour, sugar, baking powder, chocolate chips and salt. In a separate bowl mix together the milk, oil, butter, egg and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir them until you have a smooth batter.
Pour the batter into a muffin tin and sprinkle a few chocolate chips and some coarse sugar over the tops of the muffins. Bake your muffins until golden brown, then serve and enjoy.
Tips for chocolate muffins
- Be careful not to bake the muffins for too long. The muffins are done baking when you insert a toothpick into a muffin and it comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Stir the batter by gently folding it with a spoon or spatula. Do not use a whisk. Be careful not to over mix the batter, as that can produce tough muffins.
- Place the muffin tins on a baking sheet when baking the batter in the oven. This will help prevent spills and it will help keep the bottoms of the muffins from drying out.
- These muffins stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days, or in the refrigerator for 5 days. If you choose to refrigerate your muffins, I recommend heating them in the microwave for about 15 seconds before serving.
Chocolate chip muffin variations
Chocolate chip muffins are a classic breakfast dish. However, you can customize the muffins to your liking by adding other ingredients to the mix..
- Chocolate: You can use other types of chocolate chips such as milk chocolate or white chocolate. It’s also fun to add in a handful of butterscotch or peanut butter chips.
- Fruit: Chocolate pairs beautifully with many types of fruit. Stir in up to 1/2 cup of raspberries, diced strawberries, or try dried fruit such as dried cranberries.
- Mix-Ins: I often stir in other ingredients such as chopped nuts, toasted coconut, orange zest, crystallized ginger, or almond extract.
- Topping: You can make a streusel topping for your muffins by mixing together 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 cup melted butter. Sprinkle the streusel over the top of your muffins, then bake as directed.
Can you freeze muffins?
You can freeze muffins to keep them fresh for three months. To freeze muffins, simply wrap them individually in plastic wrap and place them in a resealable bag. You can warm frozen muffins by microwaving them on high for approximately 20 seconds per muffin. You can also let your frozen muffins thaw at room temperature.
This recipe makes muffins that are moist, sweet and satisfying. These chocolate chip muffins are so good you will want them not just for breakfast, but all day long!
More recipes you’ll love
- Breakfast Egg Muffins
- Cherry Muffins
- Coconut Pineapple Muffins
- Breakfast Casserole with Bacon
- Dutch Baby Pancakes
Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips divided use
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar optional
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, 1 cup of chocolate chips and salt in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, butter egg and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cups in the muffin tin. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips over the top of the muffins.
- Sprinkle the coarse sugar over the muffins.
- Bake the muffins for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes, then serve.