This bruschetta chicken recipe is marinated and grilled chicken topped with tomato basil bruschetta, mozzarella cheese and balsamic glaze. The perfect easy dinner for summer time!
Bruschetta is one of the best ways to showcase in season tomatoes, and it’s especially delicious over grilled chicken! The melted cheese and balsamic glaze add the perfect finishing touches for a dish you’ll want to make all year round.
Is there anything more summery than vine ripened tomatoes? I didn’t think so! This bruschetta chicken just screams summer, with grilled chicken, juicy tomatoes and fresh basil, which all come together for a light and easy dinner!
What is a chicken bruschetta?
Chicken bruschetta is grilled chicken breasts that are topped with a bruschetta mixture of tomato, basil, olive oil and seasonings. This particular version includes balsamic glaze and mozzarella cheese. Other variations include using parmesan cheese or basil pesto.
How do you make chicken bruschetta?
Let’s talk about the chicken first. I like to use thin cut chicken breasts for this recipe, because they cook quickly and evenly. If you have chicken breasts that are thick, you can cut them in half. I marinate my chicken in a simple mixture of lemon juice, olive oil, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. If you don’t have Italian seasoning, you can simply use equal parts of garlic powder, dried oregano and dried basil to get a similar effect.
After the chicken soaks in the marinade, it gets grilled to a golden brown color. Don’t have a grill or don’t want to fire it up? Use a grill pan inside instead. After the chicken is cooked through, a slice of mozzarella cheese goes on top to melt to gooey perfection.
How do you make bruschetta?
While the chicken is on the grill, it’s time to make the bruschetta mixture. I use a combination of the reddest, ripest tomatoes I can find, olive oil, garlic, red onion, salt, pepper and fresh basil. That’s it!
After the chicken comes off the grill, simply spoon the bruschetta mixture over the top add a drizzle of balsamic glaze, and serve! Balsamic glaze is balsamic vinegar that’s been reduced to a thick syrup. The flavor is much better than regular balsamic vinegar. Balsamic glaze can be found in most grocery stores in the same area you would find balsamic vinegar, or in the salad dressing aisle.
This bruschetta chicken is great with a side of pasta, salad, garlic bread, or a combination of the three. However you serve it, it’s sure to become a regular part of dinner time this summer.
Bruschetta Chicken Video
For the chicken:
- 4 thin cut boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or equal parts garlic powder, dried oregano and dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
For the bruschetta topping:
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic finely minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons red onion minced
- In a large bowl or resealable bag, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, Italian seasoning and pepper. Add the chicken breasts and marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium high. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on the grill. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until done.
- Place the cheese slices on top of the chicken. Cover the grill and cook until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the bruschetta topping. In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, red onion, basil, salt and pepper. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Spoon the bruschetta mixture over the chicken. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve.
This post was originally published on July 9, 2017 and was updated on June 7, 2018 with new content.