This Tuscan white bean soup is a hearty blend of Italian sausage, vegetables and beans, all simmered together in a savory tomato broth. A quick and easy dinner option that is a complete meal in one pot!
When I need an easy meal to warm up with on a cold day, I turn to soups such as Zuppa Toscana, chicken and wild rice soup, taco soup, lasagna soup and this simple, yet totally satisfying white bean soup.
I always keep an assortment of canned beans in the pantry for times when I need to put together a quick meal. This white bean soup pairs cannellini beans with flavorful sausage, fresh vegetables and tomatoes for a meal that’s a hit with both kids and adults. Looking for more ways to warm up on a cold day? You must try my vegetarian chili, beef barley soup and New England clam chowder recipes!
How do you make white bean soup?
Start by cooking Italian sausage in a pot until it is browned and cooked through. Add onions, carrots and celery to the pot, then cook until the veggies are softened. Stir in garlic, along with herbs and seasonings. Pour in chicken broth, then add the white beans. Let the soup simmer until the flavors have combined and the vegetables are tender. Add some fresh spinach and cook until the greens have wilted. Finish the soup with a sprinkle of fresh parsley, then serve and enjoy.
Tips for the perfect soup
- I typically use mild Italian sausage in this dish since I make it for my kids, but if you prefer a little heat, feel free to use hot sausage.
- Be sure to rinse and drain the beans before you add them to the soup to remove excess sodium.
- This soup stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and lasts in the freezer for 2 months. Thaw the frozen soup overnight in the fridge, then reheat it on the stove top over medium heat.
- I like to serve this soup with freshly grated parmesan cheese, as well as some sliced bread such as a baguette.
What is the best white bean?
I prefer to use cannellini beans in this recipe, which are white kidney beans. These beans are tender with a creamy texture, and hold their shape nicely when cooked. You can use other varieties of white beans if you prefer such as Great Northern beans.
Is white bean soup good for you?
This soup is loaded with beans, tomatoes, greens and vegetables which are all elements of a healthy diet. The sausage does add some calories to the dish, but you can use turkey sausage to keep it on the lighter side.
This soup is delicious as-is, but you can absolutely use other ingredients to customize the flavors to your tastes.
- Protein: Swap out the Italian sausage for sliced smoked sausage such as kielbasa, ground turkey, ground beef or diced cooked chicken.
- Greens: Instead of spinach, try using kale, escarole or Swiss chard.
- Beans: This is a white bean soup, but if you don’t have any white beans on hand you could make it with other varieties such as red kidney beans.
- Flavorings: Amp up the flavor with some crushed red pepper flakes, kalamata olives, sauteed mushrooms, or finish each bowl of soup with a drizzle of high quality olive oil.
Slow cooker white bean soup
This recipe can easily be adapted to make in the slow cooker. Cook the sausage and vegetables on the stove top as directed, then add them to a crock pot along with the rest of the ingredients, except for the parsley. Cover and cook on low for 2-4 hours. Uncover, add the parsley, then serve.
This white bean soup is on my regular meal rotation during the colder weather months. It’s a great way to enjoy your veggies!
More soups to savor
White Bean Soup Video
Tuscan White Bean Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 16 ounces Italian sausage casings removed
- 3/4 cup white onion diced
- 2 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots peeled, halved and sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes do not drain
- 2 15 ounce cans white beans drained and rinsed
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the sausage to the pan; cook for 5 minutes, using a spoon to break up the sausage into smaller pieces.
- Add the onion, celery and carrots to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes or until just softened. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the Italian seasoning, diced tomatoes, chicken broth and white beans. Bring the pot to a simmer.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes or until wilted.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.