This slow cooker chicken tortilla soup recipe is filled with chicken, beans and veggies, all finished off with tortilla strips and a variety of toppings. The perfect hearty meal for a cold night!
My whole family loves soup, in fact, I have a slow cooker full of soup simmering away as I write this post! It’s finally starting to cool down a bit around here, which means soup is on the menu at least once a week. This slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is one of our favorites, all you need is 10 minutes to load up the slow cooker, then turn it on, go about your day, and dinner will be waiting for you when you get home.
How Do You Make Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup?
Let’s talk about the ingredients for this slow cooker chicken tortilla soup. We’ve got chicken breasts (throw ’em in whole!), onion, red bell pepper, corn, black beans, mild green chilies, chicken broth, tomatoes and spices. All you have to do is put everything in the slow cooker and walk away! When it’s time to eat, remove the chicken breasts from the soup and shred them, then return them to the pot.
After you’ve got your chicken shredded, it’s time to serve up the soup and add toppings. Tortilla strips are a must, and I also put out bowls of avocado, chopped cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese and olives. My kids love to make their own creations, it’s probably their favorite part of this meal!
This chicken tortilla soup is on the milder side. If you prefer hot and spicy, you can use a can of hot chilies instead of mild, and swap out the can of tomatoes for tomatoes with chilies for even more heat. You can easily double this recipe if you’re feeding a crowd and it also freezes well! This soup is sure to be on your dinner table all winter long, your family will love it as much as mine does.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Ferro Soup with Meatballs
- Tortellini Soup with Sausage
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Cabbage Roll Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup Video
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 4 ounce can mild green chilies
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes do not drain
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 cup tortilla strips or more if desired
- Toppings such as sour cream, avocado, olives and shredded cheese
- Place the onion, bell pepper, corn, black beans, chicken, chilies, tomato sauce, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, chicken broth and salt into a slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the pot and shred with two forks. Return the chicken to the pot.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro and ladle into bowls. Top with tortilla strips and any other toppings you desire. Serve immediately.