These fried Twinkies feature the classic snack cakes coated in a sweet batter, then deep fried to golden brown perfection. Add a sprinkle of powdered sugar and a side of raspberry sauce for a unique and decadent dessert.
Twinkies are great on their own, but fried Twinkies are even better! This is a fun dessert option that is totally unexpected, yet always gets rave reviews from family and friends.
How do you make fried twinkies?
Make a simple batter with pancake mix, eggs, milk and vegetable oil. Dip your Twinkies in the batter, then place them in a pot of oil. Fry the cakes for a few minutes until they’re golden brown. Add a sprinkle of powdered sugar, then serve the Twinkies immediately with a dipping sauce if desired.
Tips for the best fried twinkies
- This batter works perfectly for other fried desserts such as fried Oreo cookies and fried candy bars.
- Be sure to completely cover each Twinkie in batter so that the filling won’t leak out when you fry them.
- It’s important to use a frying thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature of your oil. If the oil is too hot, the outer coating of the cakes can burn. If the oil is too cold, the batter will absorb excessive amounts of oil and become greasy.
- The batter should be thick enough to form a nice coating around the Twinkies. If the batter drips right off your Twinkies, you can add more powdered pancake mix, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the desired consistency is reached.
- For ease of frying and eating, feel free to put your Twinkies onto popsicle sticks or craft sticks.
- Use a sieve to sift the powdered sugar over your cakes for a professional look.
- I like to serve this dish with a dipping sauce. I typically make my homemade raspberry sauce, or otherwise I use chocolate syrup.
- Twinkies: Try different varieties of Twinkies, this recipe works great with all the flavors!
- Coatings: Roll the cooked Twinkies in cinnamon sugar instead of sifting powdered sugar over the top.
- Batter: Add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder to the batter for a dose of chocolate flavor.
How long do deep fried snack cakes last?
I find that fried Twinkies are best when served hot from the fryer. As the Twinkies sit, the outer coating will soften. You can store any leftover cakes in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Feel free to reheat leftovers in the oven at 350 degrees F until crisp and heated through.
Once you try these homemade fried Twinkies, you’ll never feel the need to order them at the fair again!
More dessert recipes you’ll enjoy
Fried Twinkies Video
- 8 Twinkies
- 1 1/2 cups pancake mix
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil plus more for frying
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- raspberry or chocolate sauce optional
- Heat 3 inches of vegetable oil in a deep pot to 350 degrees F.
- Place the pancake mix, egg, milk, 2 teaspoons vegetable oil and vanilla extract in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Dip each Twinkie into the batter, then place in the oil. Cook for 3-4 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown all over.
- Place the Twinkies on a serving plate and sift powdered sugar over the top. Serve immediately with a side of dipping sauce if desired.