This crock pot chicken noodle soup is loaded with shredded chicken, vegetables and egg noodles, all simmered to perfection in the slow cooker. An easy family friendly dinner option for a winter’s day!
This crock pot chicken noodle soup is on constant rotation at my house year round – my kids love it and request it almost every week! It takes just minutes to prep, then you can walk away and come home later to a hearty and comforting meal.
How do you make crock pot chicken noodle soup?
This recipe starts with boneless skinless chicken breasts, carrots, onion, celery and seasonings, all of which go into the crock pot. Add some chicken broth and let everything simmer while you go about your day. The final steps are to shred the chicken, then add the noodles to the pot to cook. Add a sprinkle of parsley and dinner is served!
Tips for slow cooker chicken noodle soup
- When I know I’m going to have a really busy day, I cut up my soup veggies the night before. That way in the morning it takes just minutes to dump everything in the slow cooker and turn it on.
- You can use chicken thighs instead of breasts if you prefer.
- I like to use extra wide egg noodles in this soup, but you can use any type of short pasta.
- Cut your vegetables into larger pieces so that they don’t get mushy during the long cook time.
- This recipe works best in a larger crock pot so that there’s plenty of room to stir in the noodles later on.
Is chicken noodle soup healthy?
Chicken noodle soup is a good choice for a healthy diet. The vegetables in the soup contain plenty of vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants. Chicken soup will help keep you hydrated when you’re not feeling well, and some scientists believe that chicken noodle soup can even help you get well sooner! For the healthiest version of chicken noodle soup, use whole wheat noodles and add more vegetables.
Crock Pot chicken noodle soup variations
I typically make this recipe exactly as written, but sometimes I add other ingredients to the mix that I happen to have on hand.
- Beans: Canned beans are a great addition to this soup, I often use cannellini beans or Great Northern beans.
- Vegetables: You can add other veggies to this soup such as corn, green beans, peas, tomatoes or potatoes.
- Noodles: Try bowtie pasta, spaghetti or small shell pasta instead of the egg noodles.
Can you freeze chicken noodle soup?
This soup is a great candidate for the freezer. For best results, freeze the soup before you add the noodles, then when you reheat the soup later on, add the noodles to cook through. You can freeze it with the noodles, but the texture of the noodles will be quite soft upon thawing.
This soup makes the perfect easy meal, serve it as-is or with some bread or crackers on the side. Your family will thank you!
More great soup recipes
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Tortellini Sausage Soup
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Olive Garden Minestrone Soup
Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 medium carrots peeled, halved and sliced
- 3 stalks celery sliced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces egg noodles uncooked
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- Place the chicken, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme and parsley in a crock pot. Pour the chicken broth over the top.
- Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the soup and shred with two forks. Return the chicken to the soup and add the egg noodles.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes or until noodles are tender. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired. Sprinkle with fresh parsley, then serve.