These shrimp tacos with mango salsa are a quick and easy dinner option that features tender shrimp, sweet and tangy mango salsa, and creamy cilantro lime sauce, all inside warm corn tortillas.
This is the ultimate way to do taco night! The fresh mango salsa is the perfect counterpart to the spiced shrimp and creamy sauce.
If I ask the girls what they want for dinner the answer is always tacos. They are on a major taco kick right now which I don’t mind because it’s a quick and easy meal to make. I too love tacos and I was looking for something a little more grown up than the ground turkey/cheese/hard shell tacos that the kids love. Enter these shrimp tacos with mango salsa – chile seasoned shrimp, crunchy cabbage, sweet and tangy mango salsa and creamy cilantro lime sauce makes for an awesome flavor combination that everyone will love.
How do you make shrimp tacos?
The shrimp in these tacos are lightly seasoned with chili powder and seared for a few minutes in a blazing hot pan until they’re cooked through. I used a larger shrimp here (size 21-25 per pound), but smaller shrimp will work just as well.
How do you make mango salsa?
This fruit salsa features fresh mango, red pepper, lime juice and chopped cilantro. The mango salsa can be made in advance and includes a little bit of fresh jalapeno for a kick – if you’re sensitive to spicy foods, make sure to take the ribs and seeds out of the pepper to considerably tone the spice level down.
The purple cabbage adds color and crunch, I love a little texture in my tacos to keep things interesting. The tacos get finished off with a drizzle of cilantro lime sauce, which comes together in about 5 minutes with the help of a food processor.
The whole meal can be made in about 25 minutes, not too bad for such a delicious end result. The next time the girls ask for tacos, I’m making them their usual favorite and throwing together these shrimp tacos with mango salsa for the adults in the house. Don’t forget to make my mexican rice and cantina beans to serve on the side!
More taco recipes you’ll love
Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa
For the shrimp
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds shrimp peeled, deveined and tails removed
- chili powder and salt to taste
For the mango salsa
- 1 cup mango finely diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper minced (remove seeds and ribs to make it milder)
- juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup cilantro leaves finely chopped
For the creamy cilantro lime sauce
- 1 cup sour cream (can use light)
- ½ cup cilantro leaves roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ cup prepared green salsa
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 8 corn or flour tortillas
- For the shrimp: Heat the olive oil over high heat in a large pan. Season both sides of the shrimp with chili powder and salt to taste. Place the shrimp in a single layer in the pan and sear for 2-3 minutes per side, until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- For the mango salsa: Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, add salt to taste. Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes, up to 4 hours.
- For the creamy cilantro sauce: Place all ingredients in the food processor; process until sauce is smooth and creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve: Warm the tortillas. Add a spoonful of sauce, a handful of cabbage and place the shrimp on top of the cabbage. Top with mango salsa and serve immediately.