This Monte Cristo Sandwich recipe is a copycat of the famous Disneyland version, made with turkey, ham and cheese. The sandwiches are battered then cooked to golden brown perfection. Serve with a side of raspberry jam for a unique meal that will have everyone asking for seconds.
Disneyland is known for their legendary Monte Cristo sandwiches. The sweet and savory flavor combination may sound odd at first, but it can’t be beat!
I am a total Disneyland fanatic. I’ve probably been at least 30 times in my life, and since having kids we typically visit at least once or twice a year. On our last trip, we dined at the Blue Bayou restaurant, I had never eaten there before in all my years of visiting Disneyland! I had the famous Monte Cristo sandwich, and let me tell you, this is one amazing sandwich. I decided to recreate the restaurant version at home, and let me tell you, this is a MUST TRY.
How do you make a Monte Cristo sandwich?
The basic components of a Monte Cristo sandwich are bread, turkey, ham and swiss cheese. The ingredients are piled onto bread, then the sandwich is secured with toothpicks and dipped into batter. The final step in the process is to fry the sandwich on all sides.
What is in a Monte Cristo Sandwich?
A typical Monte Cristo sandwich contains thinly sliced turkey, ham and swiss cheese. I use Texas toast bread, as it holds up well to the batter and frying process. Sometimes Monte Cristo sandwiches also may contain mayonnaise or mustard.
The batter for this sandwich is almost like a pancake batter, and it gets ultra crispy when it hits the hot oil. Be sure to fry each side of the sandwich to make sure that the batter cooks all the way through and the cheese is melted. Just look at this beauty!
After your sandwich is out of the oil, it’s time to cut it into quarters and serve it. The finishing touches on a Monte Cristo sandwich include a sprinkling of powdered sugar and a side of raspberry jam. It may sound odd, but the sweet and savory flavors are what really make this dish special. Don’t be tempted to skip the sugar and jam!
What do you serve with a Monte Cristo sandwich?
Since this sandwich is on the rich side, I serve it with fresh fruit, just like they do at Disneyland. Another great option would be a simple green salad, or some vegetables with dip.
More great sandwich recipes
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Grilled Caprese Sandwich
- Bahn Mi Sandwich
- Fajita Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwich
- Chicken Avocado Ranch Sandwich
Monte Cristo Sandwich
- 8 slices Texas toast white bread
- 1/2 pound sliced turkey
- 1/2 pound sliced ham
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup water
- oil for frying
- powdered sugar and raspberry jam for serving
- Lay 4 slices of the bread on a flat surface.
- Layer the ham, then cheese, then turkey onto each piece of bread. Top with the remaining slices of bread.
- Place toothpicks into all four corners of each sandwich to secure the sandwiches closed.
- Add the flour, egg, baking powder, sugar and water to a medium bowl. Mix until smooth.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a deep skillet to 350 degrees F.
- Dredge one sandwich in the batter, making sure all surfaces are covered.
- Place in the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes on each surface, turning carefully with the tongs to make sure all sides are browned.
- Repeat the batter and cooking process with the remaining sandwiches.
- Remove the toothpicks from the sandwiches. Cut each sandwich into quarters.
- Sprinkle the sandwiches with powdered sugar and serve with raspberry jam.