This coca cola ham is a spiral cut ham coated in a coke and brown sugar glaze, then baked to perfection. A 3 ingredient recipe that’s perfect for a special occasion!
This coke glazed ham is so incredibly delicious and it only takes 5 minutes to prepare it for the oven. A unique way to do ham that’s great for Easter, Christmas or for any meal where you’re looking to feed a crowd.
I first experienced coca cola ham about 20 years ago when a local deli used to sell coke glazed ham sandwiches. That deli went out of business, but my love for the ham never faded! The soda gives the ham a sweet yet complex flavor that can’t be replicated by anything else. Best of all, this ham only has a few ingredients and is basically fool proof to make.
How to make coca cola ham
For this recipe, you’ll need a spiral cut ham, brown sugar, and a can of coca cola. That’s it! I recommend getting the highest quality ham you can find since this recipe is so simple; every ingredient really counts! Same goes for the coke, look for coca cola made with real sugar if you can find it, and definitely do NOT use diet coke here.
First you’re going to rub your ham all over with brown sugar, make sure to get it in between the slices. After that, the coke gets poured over the top.
The final step is to cover with foil and bake! I uncover the ham during the last part of the bake time so that the slices get browned and caramelized. You’ll want to baste the ham occasionally to make sure the glaze gets into every nook and cranny.
How long to bake a ham?
A fully cooked ham needs to bake for 10 minutes a pound at 350 degrees F. I use a 10 pound ham for this recipe, but you can use a larger or smaller ham; simply adjust the baking time accordingly.
You’ll be left with a lot of glaze at the bottom of the pan. Pour it over your ham before serving for maximum flavor. One thing I like to do is pour the glaze into a pot, bring it to a simmer and add a bit of cornstarch to thicken it up so that the glaze really clings to the ham slices. This is an optional step, but that extra 5 minutes of work really yields an amazing end result.
This coca cola ham is the perfect holiday entree, I often serve it for Easter. And of course, one of the best parts of holiday ham is the leftovers, here are 40 ways to use your leftover ham!
More holiday meal recipes
- Ham with Pineapple and Cherries
- Herb Roasted Turkey
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Green Bean Bundles
- Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
Coca Cola Ham
- 1 10 lb spiral cut ham
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 can Coca Cola do not use diet
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch optional
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a large roasting pan with cooking spray and place the ham in the pan.
- Rub the brown sugar all over the ham, making sure to get it in between the slices.
- Pour the can of Coca Cola over the ham.
- Cover the ham and bake for 90 minutes, basting every 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 30 minutes more or until until ham is browned and caramelized.
- Remove the ham from the pan and place on a serving platter. Spoon the glaze from the bottom of the pan over the ham. See optional step below if you prefer a thicker glaze (I recommend taking the extra 5 minutes to do this!)
- To thicken the glaze: pour the ham glaze from the bottom of the roasting pan into a small pot and bring to a simmer. Whisk together the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the pot, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute or until glaze is thickened.
I cook two hams in one roaster do I double the cook time?
If you use a large pan and there is ample room for air to circulate the cooking time shouldn’t change significantly.
We loved loved loved it! My husband could not stop eating it. Turned out juicy, flavorful and was easy peasy. I decreased the time by 15 min as I used convect roast. It’s a family fav now, this recipe is going in the binder!!
Lisa in San Diego
Is the ham actually cooked before baking?
Yes it’s a pre-cooked ham!
Can I put pineapple on top?
Yes that will work!
Do you use a bone-in spiral ham?
Yes that’s what I use!
Can this be made in the slow cooker?
Great recipe! The ham came out so flavorful!
So easy yet SO yummy!!! It’s one meal the entire family will eat without complaints 🙂
WHY can’t you use diet cola
The sugar substitute leaves a pretty strong aftertaste in this recipe!
Never use Diet Sodas or anything containing aspartame for cooking. Though Aspartame can be a fine sugar substitute in some items, when heated, it actually becomes quite toxic and can cause symptoms of muscle weakness and pain.
I had never tried making a ham with Coke. I made this for yesterday’s Easter dinner, and it was a hit! Made some mashed potatoes and fresh veggies on the side. My husband and kids loved it. Thank you for posting such a simple yet delicious recipe. 🙂
Ham was delicious but I would not cook it at 350 degrees. I did and ham on the outside was way too over cooked. It was a great flavor though.