This chicken and rice soup is chicken breast pieces simmered with vegetables and rice in an herb broth. A quick and easy dinner option that’s comfort food at its finest!
Some recipes are just classic, like salisbury steak and mac and cheese. Chicken and rice soup is also on the list, and this is the perfect meal for cold weather or a sick day.
Growing up, I used to eat chicken and rice soup from a can, especially when I was feeling under the weather. This homemade chicken and rice soup is ten million times better than the canned version and also happens to be super easy to make.
How do you make chicken and rice soup?
The ingredient list for this soup is simple and wholesome. The recipe starts with carrots, onion and celery sauteed in butter. Shredded chicken, herbs and chicken broth go into the mix, then everything simmers until the veggies are tender. The final addition is the rice and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.
What is the best rice for chicken soup?
I typically use regular long grain white rice for this soup, because that’s what my kids like. You can also use brown rice or a wild rice blend if you prefer. Just be aware that brown rice and wild rice will need more time to cook, so plan accordingly!
Tips for Chicken and Rice Soup
- I typically roast up a few bone-in, skin on chicken breasts to use in this recipe. You can also use chicken thighs, leftover chicken, or even rotisserie chicken.
- This recipe calls for dried Italian seasoning, which is a blend of herbs such as basil, parsley and oregano. It’s readily available in most grocery stores. If you don’t have Italian seasoning, you can mix together equal parts of dried parsley, oregano and basil, or try using fresh herbs such as 2 teaspoons of chopped thyme leaves.
- Chicken and rice soup can be made ahead of time. Prepare the recipe as directed, but omit the rice. Refrigerate the soup for up to 3 days or freeze it for up to 1 month. Add the rice into the soup after the soup has been reheated.
- I typically use low sodium chicken broth so that the end product isn’t overly salty.
- This soup is hearty enough to be a complete meal, but I often serve it with bread on the side, like garlic knots or honey cornbread.
Do you cook rice before adding it to soup?
I prefer to cook my rice before I add it to this soup because rice is notorious for absorbing a ton of liquid and can easily get overly soft. If you stir already cooked rice into the soup right before serving, the rice will absorb very little liquid and won’t be mushy. You can absolutely cook the rice in the soup too if you prefer, just add a few more cups of broth to compensate for the liquid that the rice will absorb as it cooks.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup
This soup is a great candidate for the crock pot. Place 4 raw chicken breasts in a slow cooker along with the veggies, broth and seasonings. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, then remove the chicken breasts and shred the meat. Return the chicken to the pot and stir in the cooked rice. Alternatively, you can add raw rice during the last 30 minutes of the cook time.
Whether you’re under the weather or just looking for a kid-friendly dinner option, this chicken and rice soup is sure to hit the spot!
More easy soup recipes
Chicken and Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion finely diced
- 3/4 cup carrots peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced
- 3/4 cup celery sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups chicken broth I use low sodium
- 2 cups cooked rice can be white, brown or wild rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery to the pot and cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic to the pot and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the rice. Cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley, then serve.
I used this as a jumping off point. I added a tbs of flour to the melting butter and created a roux to begin with. It’s makes for a creamier soup. Instead of Italian seasoning I used a tablespoon of curry. I used 5 cups of broth and a cup or more of coconut milk. It made an amazing soup.
One of the best chicken and rice soup recipes, ever. Thank you for sharing such goodness.
I have made this soup many times and I get compliments on it every time! Its delicious. I wondered tho, on the nutritional values at the end is that for 1 cup of soup?
It’s 1 1/2 cups!
I cooked two of your recipes on 2/14/2021 for our Valentine’s Day Dinner. It has snowed all day. Perfect for soup.
First, I used your Baked Chicken Breast recipe to get my chicken breasts cooked for your Chicken and Rice Soup recipe.
I love the brown sugar and smoked paprika seasoning blend on the chicken. I baked the chicken at lunch and prepped it for the soup recipe. The chicken was so juicy and full of flavor and I ate half of one of the breast for lunch. No one would know.
The soup is incredible an so easy to make. I did use my homemade chicken stock. I also added about 1/3 of a can of leftover diced tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of leftover pico de gallo. My husband loves your chicken soup. I will teach him how to make it next time.
Can’t wait to try this one sounds great and easy. Will chech back when get a chance to do ghis one.
This was really good! Instead of butter I used olive oil and I also added barley! I also added some chicken stock, and left the parsley out. And I grabbed a rotisserie chicken out of the deli from fresh market!! This is our 2nd night eating on this and it’s the best best best chicken rice soup recipe we’ve ever had!
Best chicken rice soup recipe I have found.
the best soup ever yummy yummy yummy.
Absolutely delish ~
We have a favorite restaurant that we get chicken rice soup there but have not been in more than 6 months. So when I saw this recipe I was so excited and it’s even better than the restaurant soup! Thank you
Love your site and all the recipes, making the chicken rice soup tomorrow. This is awesome
I love reading this recipe! Ver comforting! I think using Rotisserie chicken is a great idea! I cook and pick the chicken a day ahead, pick, save the bones to make healthy bone broth.