This air fryer chicken breast recipe consists of chicken coated in herbs and spices, then cooked to golden brown perfection. A quick and effortless way to prepare chicken that comes out tender and juicy every time!
I am in love with my air fryer, it’s the newest popular appliance for good reason! It’s easy to use, cooks meats and veggies quickly, and everything comes out so tender and flavorful. This air fryer chicken breast takes just minutes to prepare and is always a big hit with both kids and adults. If you’re an air fryer fan, be sure to check out this list of 10 Air Fryer Recipes to add to your collection!
How do you make air fryer chicken breast?
Start by brushing olive oil or butter all over both sides of the chicken. Mix together the herbs and spices, then rub the mixture into the chicken. Place the chicken breasts in the air fryer in a single layer. Cook, flipping halfway through the process. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh parsley, then serve and enjoy.
Tips for the perfect chicken
- You can prepare the spice mixture up to a month before you plan to use it. Sometimes I make a double or triple batch of the spice mixture so that I always have some on hand when I’m ready to make chicken.
- I prefer brushing my chicken with butter because I think it has better flavor, but olive oil also works well. This helps to keep the chicken from drying out and makes it easier for the spices to adhere to the meat.
- For extra juicy chicken, whip up a batch of my chicken brine, and brine the chicken for at least one hour before cooking.
- This same technique also works well with other boneless cuts such as chicken thighs or tenderloins.
How long does it take to cook chicken breast in the air fryer?
The length of time needed to cook a chicken breast in the air fryer depends on the size of the chicken pieces. I typically use 6 ounce breasts, which take about 8-9 minutes per side at 360 degrees F. For larger breasts, you’ll want to increase the cook time to 10-11 minutes per side. Smaller chicken pieces in the 4-5 ounce range will cook for about 7 minutes per side. If you’re not sure if your chicken is cooked through, you can use a probe thermometer to measure the internal temperature. The thermometer must register at least 165 degrees F for the chicken to be done.
You can easily add other herbs and spices to to customize this dish to your tastes.
- Mexican Style Chicken: Remove the Italian seasoning. Add 2 teaspoons mild chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Italian Herb Chicken: Omit the brown sugar and smoked paprika. Add 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley and 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice.
- Moroccan Chicken: Leave out the Italian seasoning. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
Serve your chicken with a green vegetable on the side, as well as some rice pilaf, mashed potatoes or pasta, and watch the rave reviews come in!
Side dishes to pair with air fryer chicken breast
Air Fryer Chicken Breast Video
Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts 6 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil melt the butter if using
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- cooking spray
- Heat the air fryer to 360 degrees F.
- Brush the butter or olive oil all over both sides of the chicken.
- Add the brown sugar, salt, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper to a small bowl. Mix well.
- Rub the spice mixture all over both sides of the chicken.
- Place the chicken in a single layer in the air fryer. Bake the chicken for 18 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until a thermometer inserted into a chicken breast registers at least 165 degrees F.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then sprinkle with parsley and serve.