This air fryer chicken breast recipe consists of chicken coated in herbs and spices, then cooked to golden brown perfection. A quick and effortless way to prepare chicken that comes out tender and juicy every time!
You can never have too many easy chicken recipes. Some of my favorites include blackened chicken, garlic butter chicken and this delicious air fryer chicken breast.
I am in love with my air fryer, it’s the newest popular appliance for good reason! It’s easy to use, cooks meats and veggies quickly, and everything comes out so tender and flavorful. This air fryer chicken breast takes just minutes to prepare and is always a big hit with both kids and adults.
How do you make air fryer chicken breast?
Start by brushing olive oil or butter all over both sides of the chicken. Mix together the herbs and spices, then rub the mixture into the chicken. Place the chicken breasts in the air fryer in a single layer. Cook, flipping halfway through the process. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh parsley, then serve and enjoy.
Tips for the perfect chicken
- You can prepare the spice mixture up to a month before you plan to use it. Sometimes I make a double or triple batch of the spice mixture so that I always have some on hand when I’m ready to make chicken.
- I prefer brushing my chicken with butter because I think it has better flavor, but olive oil also works well. This helps to keep the chicken from drying out and makes it easier for the spices to adhere to the meat.
- For extra juicy chicken, whip up a batch of my chicken brine, and brine the chicken for at least one hour before cooking.
- This same technique also works well with other boneless cuts such as chicken thighs or tenderloins.
How long does it take to cook chicken breast in the air fryer?
The length of time needed to cook a chicken breast in the air fryer depends on the size of the chicken pieces. I typically use 6 ounce breasts, which take about 8-9 minutes per side at 360 degrees F. For larger breasts, you’ll want to increase the cook time to 10-11 minutes per side. Smaller chicken pieces in the 4-5 ounce range will cook for about 7 minutes per side. If you’re not sure if your chicken is cooked through, you can use a probe thermometer to measure the internal temperature. The thermometer must register at least 165 degrees F for the chicken to be done.
You can easily add other herbs and spices to to customize this dish to your tastes.
- Mexican Style Chicken: Remove the Italian seasoning. Add 2 teaspoons mild chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Italian Herb Chicken: Omit the brown sugar and smoked paprika. Add 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley and 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice.
- Moroccan Chicken: Leave out the Italian seasoning. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
Serve your chicken with a green vegetable on the side, as well as some rice pilaf, mashed potatoes or pasta, and watch the rave reviews come in!
Side dishes to pair with air fryer chicken breast
Air Fryer Chicken Breast Video
Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts 6 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil melt the butter if using
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- cooking spray
- Heat the air fryer to 360 degrees F.
- Brush the butter or olive oil all over both sides of the chicken.
- Add the brown sugar, salt, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper to a small bowl. Mix well.
- Rub the spice mixture all over both sides of the chicken.
- Place the chicken in a single layer in the air fryer. Bake the chicken for 18 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until a thermometer inserted into a chicken breast registers at least 165 degrees F.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Best chicken ever!! I am new to air fryer abs this chicken is so juicy. But I also love the crispy edges.
This recipe made me more excited about what my air fryer is capable of – this recipe is easy, speedy, awesome spice combination resulting in juicy, delicious and beautiful chicken breasts. Thank you for giving me more reasons to be happy I bought myself an air fryer! I look forward to trying more of your recipes!!!
My chicken came out so tasty and juicy! Cool easy recipe.
I was impressed how good this chicken recipe came out! The chicken was moist and tasty.
Just got an air fryer and have been trying your recipes out, and this one was one of the best! Was quick, easy, and juicy; loved it!
Love how the air fryer makes the outsides kind of crispy but the inside is so moist and tender!
Another reason to unpack my air fryer and start using it
I made this for my family the other day and it is now their favourite way to make chicken. Low cal and juicy on the inside! Loved it!
This chicken dish turned out to be super tender and flavorful! And it was so much easier to make using the air fryer!
The brown sugar caramelized the breasts beautifully! Delicious!
I love how quick this recipe comes together. And, an excellent spice combination.
Fabulous dry rub on these chicken breasts. Great flavor and so easy to make.
I’m always looking for new chicken breast recipes, it’s such an affordable and versatile ingredient! Love how easy it is to make in the air fryer. Definitely need to give this a try next week.
Made it for dinner last night. Turns out exactly as expected, tender and juicy. So happy with the recipe. Will make it again. Thanks for the recipe.