This muhammara recipe is a creamy roasted red pepper and walnut dip that’s full of flavor. Serve it with pita bread for an easy yet unexpected make-ahead appetizer.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
So you’re probably wondering right about now, what exactly is muhammara? Muhammara is a Middle Eastern dip made with roasted peppers and walnuts, and let me tell you, it’s TOTALLY delicious! Think along the lines of hummus, but much creamier and with roasted peppers instead of chickpeas.
This muhammara recipe is super simple to make – all you do is throw everything in the food processor, blend and serve! You can roast your own bell peppers or use the jarred kind. If you want to roast your own, simply halve, seed and core 3 peppers, place them on a baking sheet lined with foil and broil for about 10-15 minutes or until the skins have blackened. After they come out of the oven, cover the top of the pan with foil for another 5-10 minutes, then peel the skins off and you’re ready to go!
Most of the ingredients in this dip are pretty basic except for one: the pomegranate molasses. Pomegranate molasses can be found in the ethnic aisle of grocery stores, and it’s a traditional addition to this dip. But to be honest, I’ve omitted the pomegranate molasses before and it’s just as delicious without it, so if you can’t find it, just omit it!
I like to serve this muhammara as part of a platter with hummus, olives, cucumber and tomato salad (just cucumber, tomato, herbs, olive oil and lemon) and plenty of pita bread for dipping. I love that it can be made in advance, and the whole platter looks so impressive for parties but is incredibly easy to make!
- 3 roasted red bell peppers seeded, cored and peeled (or 1 and 1/2 cups jarred roasted peppers)
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnishes: Olive oil chopped walnuts, minced bell pepper, chopped parsley
- Place the roasted peppers, walnuts, breadcrumbs, garlic, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, cumin and red pepper flakes in the bowl of a food processor. Process until combined.
- With the motor running, gradually add the oil until the mixture is smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If desired, top with a drizzle of olive oil, walnuts, minced bell pepper and parsley. Serve with pita bread.