This recipe for Mexican meatball soup is loaded with seasoned beef meatballs, black beans and plenty of vegetables in a flavorful and spicy broth. Add your favorite toppings and you’ve got a complete meal in a bowl!
It’s always hard for me to get my girls to try new foods, but I’ve found that adding a familiar component to a new recipe makes them more likely to give it a try. My family is meatball crazy so I figured this Mexican meatball soup would be a hit, and it sure was – they even ate the vegetables!
How do you make meatball soup?
I made lean beef meatballs seasoned with Mexican spices to go in this soup, but if you’re pressed for time, pre-prepared frozen meatballs will work. This Mexican meatball soup is also full of lots of colorful vegetables and black beans. It’s like a full meal in one pot! This recipe is moderately spicy due to the canned tomatoes with chiles, but if you’re feeding kids or don’t like a lot of spice, you can substitute regular canned tomatoes.
While this soup is great on its own, it’s even better when you serve it with a variety of fun toppings so that everyone can make their own creations. I serve this soup with tortilla strips, sour cream, diced avocado, shredded cheese and fresh cilantro.
We eat Mexican food at least once a week and this Mexican meatball soup is a fun change from the standard tacos and quesadillas that are often on our table. I love that it’s quick and easy and uses ingredient staples that I typically have in the house. The weather may be warming up but I never get tired of soup, and this is an exceptionally delicious version!
More great soup recipes
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Chicken and Rice Soup
- Sausage Lentil Soup
- Olive Garden Minestrone Soup
Mexican Meatball Soup
For the meatballs
- cooking spray
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons water
For the soup
- 6 cups beef broth
- 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes with chiles undrained (can also use a can of regular diced tomatoes for less heat)
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped into 1/4 pieces
- 1 zucchini chopped into 1/2 pieces
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Garnishes: chopped cilantro, tortilla strips, sour cream, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, lime wedges, avocado
- For the meatballs:
- Preheat the broiler. Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray. Combine all meatball ingredients and stir until thoroughly mixed together. Form 1 inch meatballs and place them on the pan.
- Broil for 8-10 minutes until meatballs are cooked through.
- For the soup:
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the carrots and cook for 5 minutes more; season vegetables with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the beef broth, can of tomatoes, can of tomato sauce, chili powder and cumin to the pot.
- Bring the pot to a boil then reduce heat to medium; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the meatballs, black beans, corn and zucchini to the pot. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with toppings such as chopped cilantro, sour cream, tortilla strips, shredded cheese and avocado.