This Cajun shrimp recipe is large shrimp coated in butter, lemon and seasonings then seared to perfection. A quick dinner option that can be on the table in 15 minutes and always gets rave reviews!
When I want dinner on the table fast, I turn to easy shrimp recipes such as bacon wrapped shrimp, shrimp fried rice and these zesty Cajun shrimp.
You can never go wrong with Cajun shrimp for a simple, yet satisfying meal. My version uses a blend of butter, Cajun seasonings and garlic for super flavorful results. Serve your shrimp as-is with side dishes, or put it on top of pizza, pasta or a salad.
How do you make Cajun shrimp?
Start by coating shrimp with Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper. Place the shrimp in a single layer in a pan, then cook them in melted butter until they’re done. Stir in garlic, worcestershire sauce and lemon juice, then cook for one more minute. Sprinkle the shrimp with fresh chopped parsley, garnish with lemon wedges, then serve and enjoy!
Homemade Cajun seasoning
You can use homemade or store bought Cajun seasoning in this recipe. I typically make my own Cajun seasoning by mixing together 1 tablespoon of sweet paprika, 1 1/2 teaspoons of smoked paprika, 1 tablespoon of kosher salt, 2 teaspoons of garlic powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons of onion powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons of black pepper, 1 teaspoon of dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme and 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
HOW TO PEEL AND DEVEIN SHRIMP
If your shrimp are out of the shell, you can skip this step. If you buy shrimp with shells still attached, you can remove the shells by peeling them off with your fingers starting on the side with the legs. I prefer to leave the tails on for a nicer presentation, but you can remove the tails if you like. If you don’t see a slit down the back of each shrimp, you may also need to devein the shrimp. Use a paring knife to cut a slit along the back of each shrimp on the opposite side from the legs. Then, use the knife or a wooden skewer to scrape out the vein which looks like a dark tube running down the shrimp. After the shrimp are shelled and deveined, they’re ready to use in the recipe.
Tips for the perfect dish
- I use the largest shrimp I can find for this dish, but any size will work just fine.
- Serve your shrimp over rice or mashed potatoes, or add them to fettuccine alfredo, cheese pizza, a green salad or layer them into a hot sandwich.
- I recommend using a nonstick pan for best results.
- This dish will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat the shrimp over low heat on the stove or in 30 second increments in the microwave until warm.
Cajun shrimp flavor variations
This dish is great as-is, but you can add other ingredients to customize the recipe to your tastes.
- Protein: Stir in some andouille sausage or cooked crumbled bacon for a smoky flavor. You can also make this dish with diced chicken thighs instead of shrimp.
- Vegetables: Feel free to add some veggies to the mix such as onions, bell peppers, okra, zucchini or corn.
- Toppings: Finish the dish with sliced green onions, sun dried tomatoes, or a splash of heavy cream.
Once you try this Cajun shrimp, you’ll find yourself making it on a regular basis. It’s just that good!
More shrimp recipes to savor
Cajun Shrimp Video
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined, you can leave the tails on if you prefer
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning homemade or store bought
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- lemon wedges for garnish
- Sprinkle the Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper on the shrimp; toss to coat evenly.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until shrimp are pink and opaque. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice, cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately, garnished with lemon wedges.
Oh, yes!! Give me all the cajun flavors, especially the shrimp!! I enjoy this every time we make it!
My favorite way to enjoy shrimp! Love the cajun flavors! A great date night in meal!
Delicious! The cajun flavors are absolutely delicious! So easy to put together and my kids are huge fans!
Thanks for making me look like a 5 star chef! My family absolutely loved this. The flavors were amazing.
This shrimp look so deliciously flavorful! I love how simple it is to make.
My new favorite way to make shrimp! This cajun shrimp recipe is so good. My whole family loved it!
Oh wow! All of my favourite flavours are in this shrimp dish. I can’t wait to try it.
This cajun shrimp dish was SO good! I need to have shrimp in my freezer at all times so I can make this all the time. The flavors were perfect and it was pretty easy to make. Thanks!
Oh yum! I love how easily the shrimp come together. So much flavor with the homemade cajun seasonings and it looks so good over that bed of rice.
Oh yum! I am definitely adding this to my weekly dinner plan soon. 🙂