Mexican Meatball Soup
This recipe for Mexican meatball soup is loaded with seasoned beef meatballs, black beans and plenty of vegetables in a flavorful and spicy broth. Add your favorite toppings and you've got a complete meal in a bowl!
Servings 4 servings
For the meatballs
- cooking spray
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons water
For the soup
- 6 cups beef broth
- 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes with chiles undrained (can also use a can of regular diced tomatoes for less heat)
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped into 1/4 pieces
- 1 zucchini chopped into 1/2 pieces
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Garnishes: chopped cilantro, tortilla strips, sour cream, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, lime wedges, avocado
For the meatballs:
Preheat the broiler. Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray. Combine all meatball ingredients and stir until thoroughly mixed together. Form 1 inch meatballs and place them on the pan.
Broil for 8-10 minutes until meatballs are cooked through.
For the soup:
In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the carrots and cook for 5 minutes more; season vegetables with salt and pepper to taste.
Add the beef broth, can of tomatoes, can of tomato sauce, chili powder and cumin to the pot.
Bring the pot to a boil then reduce heat to medium; simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the meatballs, black beans, corn and zucchini to the pot. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve immediately with toppings such as chopped cilantro, sour cream, tortilla strips, shredded cheese and avocado.
Calories: 588kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 44g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 117mg | Sodium: 2420mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 11g