Coconut Pineapple Muffins
These lightened up coconut pineapple muffins have less fat and sugar than the original version but are still light, fluffy and full of flavor.
Servings 12 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour I prefer white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup fresh or canned pineapple coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- cooking spray
- For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons light coconut milk
- slices pineapple and shaved coconut for garnish optional
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Combine both flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine coconut milk, oil and egg in a bowl; add to flour mixture. Stir just until moist. Gently fold in pineapple and coconut flakes. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups lined with paper wrappers.
Bake at 400° for 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove muffins from pan; cool on a wire rack. After the muffins have cooled, combine powdered sugar and coconut milk in a bowl. Drizzle the glaze over the muffins. Garnish with pineapple slices and coconut shavings if desired.
Calories: 261kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 154mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 23g