This cowboy caviar is a colorful and hearty dip that's loaded with beans, avocado and veggies, all tossed in a zesty homemade sauce. It's the perfect make-ahead dish for a potluck!
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can black eyed peas rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tomatoes seeded and finely diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely diced
- 1 cup corn can be fresh, canned or thawed from frozen
- 1 avocado chopped
- 3/4 cup orange bell pepper seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup red onion finely diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
Place the beans, black eyed peas, tomatoes, jalapeno, corn, avocado, bell pepper, onion and cilantro in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, honey, chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper.
Pour the dressing over the bean mixture and toss gently to coat. Serve as a salad or with chips.
- Make ahead instructions: Assemble according to instructions, except omit the avocado. Refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Add the avocado right before serving.
Calories: 195kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 8mg | Potassium: 337mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 380IU | Vitamin C: 10.6mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1.2mg