Sausage and Rice Casserole
This recipe for a sausage and rice casserole is a one pot meal with sausages, rice and seasonal vegetables, all cooked together for a simple and quick dinner.
- 1 pound of fully cooked chicken sausages (your choice of flavor)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 large orange or red bell pepper ribs and seeds removed, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups short grain rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 small ears fresh corn husks and silks removed, cut into 1-inch rounds
- Cilantro leaves for serving
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Pierce sausage all over with the tip of a paring knife.
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high. Add sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add remaining tablespoon of oil to skillet along with onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in rice, then stock; season again with salt and pepper. Return sausage to pan and bring liquid to a boil. Add corn, cover, and bake until rice is tender and has absorbed all liquid, about 25 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Top with cilantro leaves.
Calories: 590kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 1808mg | Potassium: 310mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1330IU | Vitamin C: 54.7mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 4.7mg