This recipe for peppermint brownies is fudgy chocolate squares topped with cream cheese frosting, a layer of chocolate and crushed candy canes. The perfect holiday treat!
- 1 box brownie mix
- eggs, oil and water as called for on the box of brownie mix
- cooking spray
For the peppermint frosting"
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
For the chocolate topping:
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup crushed candy canes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9x9 inch square pan with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on both sides.
Prepare the brownie mix according to package directions.
Cool completely in the pan.
To make the frosting: Beat the butter and cream cheese with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add the milk and beat until blended. Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix until thoroughly combined. Stir in the peppermint extract.
Spread the peppermint frosting evenly over the brownies, then chill in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
For the chocolate topping: Place the chocolate chips and butter in a bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments until melted. Stir until smooth. Spread evenly over the cream cheese layer and top with crushed candy canes.
Chill the brownies for at least 30 minutes or until chocolate is set. Remove from the pan using the parchment overhang and cut into squares, then serve.
- Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker.
- For neat cuts, slice the brownies while they're cold and wipe the knife clean with a paper towel in between cuts.
- To crush candy canes, place them in a sealed plastic bag and cover with a towel. Use a rolling pin or the flat end of a meat mallet to crush the candy.
Calories: 323kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 166mg | Sugar: 35g