This chicken tinga is a classic dish made with shredded chicken that's simmered in a smoky and savory sauce. A quick and easy dinner option that can be made into tacos, burritos, nachos and more!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup onion diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce canned
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce from the can of peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano Mexican oregano if possible
- 14 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes do not drain
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- cilantro for garnish optional
- tortillas, tostadas and toppings of choice for serving
Place the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Place the chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, oregano, tomatoes, salt and pepper in the pan and bring to a simmer.
Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let the sauce cool off the heat for 5 minutes.
Transfer the sauce mixture to a blender or food processor. then puree until smooth.
Pour the sauce back into the pan and add the chicken. Stir to coat the chicken with the sauce.
Turn the heat back to medium and let the chicken cook in the sauce for 5 minutes or until warmed through.
Put out an assortment of toppings along with tortillas or tostada shells. Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro if desired.
Calories: 274kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 774mg | Potassium: 44mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 397IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 1mg