Shrimp Lo Mein
This shrimp lo mein is succulent shrimp with vegetables and egg noodles, all tossed together in a savory sauce. A take out classic that's quick and easy to make at home, and always gets rave reviews.
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil divided use
- 1/2 cup yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots shredded or julienned
- 1/4 cup celery thinly sliced
- 1 cup green cabbage shredded
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 pound medium or large shrimp peeled and deveined, leave tails on if you want a more elegant presentation
- 10 ounces fresh egg noodles pre-cooked
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/4 cup green onions sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
Add the onions, carrots, celery and cabbage to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until just softened.
Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper to taste.
Remove the vegetables from the pan and cover to keep warm.
Pour the rest of the oil into the pan. Add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until shrimp are pink and opaque.
Add the noodles to the pan, along with the cooked vegetables. Toss to combine.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil and corn starch.
Pour the sauce into the pan and bring everything to a simmer. Cook for 1 minute or until sauce is just thickened. Sprinkle with green onions, then serve immediately.
Calories: 326kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 606mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g