This turkey chili is a blend of ground turkey, tomatoes, spices and beans, all simmered together to make a delicious and hearty meal. A lighter version of the classic chili that's easy to make and always gets rave reviews!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs ground turkey 93% lean
- 3/4 cup onion finely diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt divided use
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper divided use
- 2 15 ounce cans kidney beans drained and rinsed
- Toppings such as shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions and tortilla strips
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the turkey and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, for 3-4 minutes.
Add the onion to the pot and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until softened. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, cocoa powder, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the pot. Bring to a simmer.
Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until chili has thickened.
Add the kidney beans and cook for another 10 minutes.
Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately with toppings of your choice.
Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 614mg | Potassium: 575mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1165IU | Vitamin C: 3.4mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 2.4mg