This classic minestrone soup is filled with an assortment of vegetables, beans and pasta, all simmered together in a hearty tomato broth. An easy vegetarian meal that's perfect for a cold day!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup celery sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots peeled, quartered and sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 15 ounce can small white beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Russet potatoes peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1/2 cup small shell pasta
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots to the pot.
Cook until the vegetables are tender, 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper to taste.
Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth, tomato paste and Italian seasoning to the pot. Bring to a simmer.
Add the white beans, kidney beans, potatoes, green beans and pasta to the pot. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until pasta and potatoes are tender.
Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the spinach leaves and cook for 2-3 minutes or until wilted.
Sprinkle the parsley over the soup and serve.
Calories: 280kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 644mg | Potassium: 1047mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3335IU | Vitamin C: 14.3mg | Calcium: 127mg | Iron: 5.9mg