Lentil Soup with Smoked Sausage
This hearty lentil soup is made with smoked sausage, vegetables, tomatoes and lentils, all simmered in an herb broth. An easy one pot dinner option that the whole family will love!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 3 carrots peeled, halved and sliced
- 3 stalks celery sliced
- 14 ounces smoked sausage halved and sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes do not drain
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups dry brown lentils rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
Add the sausage and cook for 2-3 more minutes or until just browned.
Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, lentils and salt and pepper to the pot. Bring to a simmer.
Cook for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Calories: 269kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 507mg | Potassium: 669mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 5350IU | Vitamin C: 27.6mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 2.2mg