Chicken Parmesan Pasta
This chicken parmesan pasta is sauteed chicken and penne pasta tossed in marinara sauce and covered with cheese, then baked to gooey perfection. An easy dinner option that's a total crowd pleaser!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 12 ounces dry penne pasta
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9"x13" pan with cooking spray.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook the penne pasta according to package directions.
Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened.
Add the chicken, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to the pan. Cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until chicken is cooked through.
Pour the marinara sauce and chopped basil into the pan and stir to combine.
Drain the pasta and add it to the 9"x13" dish. Pour the chicken and sauce mixture over the pasta and stir to combine.
Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese over the pasta mixture.
Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted, then serve.
- Make ahead instructions: Place the assembled pasta dish covered in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours. Uncover, then bake until pasta is warm and cheese is melted. It will take an additional 10-15 minutes past the bake time in the recipe.
Calories: 301kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 88mg | Sodium: 606mg | Potassium: 707mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 885IU | Vitamin C: 8.8mg | Calcium: 356mg | Iron: 2mg