Slow Cooker Beef Stew
This slow cooker beef stew is loaded with chunks of tender beef, potatoes, carrots and peas. It's a hearty and comforting one pot meal where the crock pot does all of the work!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound small yellow potatoes halved
- 4 carrots halved and sliced into 1 inch chunks
- 3 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Season the stew meat generously with salt and pepper.
Cook the meat in a single layer for 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. You may need to cook in batches.
Place the meat in a slow cooker along with the onion, garlic, potatoes, carrots, beef broth, tomato paste, thyme and bay leaf. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
Remove 1/3 cup of stew liquid from the slow cooker. Add the flour and whisk until smooth.
Pour the flour mixture back into the stew; stir to combine. Cover and cook on HIGH for an additional 30 minutes or until stew is slightly thickened.
Uncover and stir in the frozen peas. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- Got leftover tomato paste? Place it in a plastic bag and freeze to use later in another recipe!
- Cubed beef chuck roast also works instead of stew meat.
Calories: 426kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 57g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 147mg | Sodium: 515mg | Potassium: 1093mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 7100IU | Vitamin C: 23.8mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 8.3mg