This hearty hamburger soup is loaded with ground beef, potatoes and an assortment of vegetables, all in a savory broth. The perfect easy dinner option that the whole family will love!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion finely diced
- 2 carrots peeled, quartered and sliced
- 2 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 1 pound ground beef I use 90% lean
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes do not drain
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or equal parts of garlic powder, dried oregano and dried basil
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 large russet potato peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup diced green beans fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley optional
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery to the pot.
Cook for 5-6 minutes or until softened.
Add the ground beef to the pot and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until browned and mostly cooked through. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, beef broth and potato to the pot; bring to a simmer.
Cook for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
Stir in the corn and green beans and cook for 5 minutes more. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- If you use ground beef with a higher fat content, be sure to drain off any excess fat before you proceed to the next step.
- Ground turkey (93% lean) can be substituted for the ground beef.
Calories: 240kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 972mg | Potassium: 788mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3455IU | Vitamin C: 7.1mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 2.9mg