Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas
These slow cooker black eyed peas are loaded with ham, sausage and veggies. The perfect crock pot meal to get your new year off to the right start!
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb dried black eyed peas soaked for at least 4 hours
- 1 ham bone or ham hock
- 5 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 cups chopped ham
- 14 ounces smoked rope sausage such as kielbasa or andouille, halved lengthwise and sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Place the onion, bell pepper, garlic, black eyed peas, ham bone and chicken broth in a slow cooker.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours.
Uncover and remove one cup of the peas. Mash thoroughly then return to the pot. Add the ham, sausage, salt and pepper to the pot. Stir thoroughly.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 more hour.
Remove the ham bone. Stir in the parsley and serve with rice.
Calories: 454kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 543mg | Potassium: 1011mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 85IU | Vitamin C: 24.8mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 6.1mg