This hummus recipe is a smooth and creamy blend of chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic and seasonings. Homemade hummus so much better than anything you'd get at the store, and it also happens to be quite easy to make!
- 15 ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon garlic roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 4 tablespoons olive oil plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon water or more if needed
- fresh chopped parsley and smoked paprika for garnish optional
Place the lemon juice and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Puree, then let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes. This will neutralize the harsh flavor of the raw garlic.
Place the chickpeas in a pot of boiling water. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until very soft.
Drain the chickpeas. Remove the skins if desired (optional).
Place the chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, salt, cumin and water in the food processor along with the lemon juice mixture. Puree until smooth. Add more water as needed, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the hummus reaches your desired consistency.
Taste and add more salt if needed.
Place the hummus in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with paprika and chopped parsley if desired. Serve.
Calories: 185kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 300mg | Potassium: 229mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 24IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 2mg