Slow Cooker Chili
This slow cooker chili is a blend of beef, beans, tomatoes and spices, all simmered together in the crock pot for a rich and hearty dish. Crock pot chili is perfect for parties and any occasion where you need to feed a crowd!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 pounds ground beef I use 90% lean
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes do not drain
- 3 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt divided use
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 15 ounce cans dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- cheese, sour cream and green onions for serving
Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the beef and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until beef is browned and cooked through.
Place the ground beef in the slow cooker along with the onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, cocoa powder, sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Stir to combine, then cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. Add the beans and cook for an additional 20 minutes until beans are warmed through. Serve immediately.
Calories: 304kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 841mg | Potassium: 607mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1125IU | Vitamin C: 1.6mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 4.6mg