This grilled chicken breast recipe is boneless skinless chicken breasts soaked in a flavorful garlic and herb marinade, then grilled to golden brown perfection. An everyday recipe that’s perfect for summer entertaining!
We eat grilled chicken at least once a week, everything from grilled chicken tenders, to chicken kabobs, to this simple yet versatile grilled chicken breast.
You can never go wrong with making chicken breast for dinner. It’s quick, easy, inexpensive and relatively healthy. This grilled chicken breast is packed full of flavor. The chicken comes out perfectly tender and juicy every time!
For a fantastic meal try some of my favorite side dishes like tomato salad, cornbread casserole and hasselback potatoes. They are perfect with this grilled chicken!
Table of Contents
Grilled Chicken Breast Ingredients
For these grilled chicken breasts you will need chicken breasts, olive oil, brown sugar, soy sauce, lemon zest, parsley, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper.
How Do You Make Grilled Chicken Breast?
The first step to make grilled chicken breast is to prepare a simple marinade of olive oil, garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar and herbs. The chicken should marinate for at least an hour, but you can leave the chicken in the marinade for up to 24 hours. Then grill your chicken either on an outdoor grill or inside on a grill pan until cooked through. Finally, slice and serve the chicken.
Tips For The Perfect Grilled Chicken Breast
- Choose chicken breasts that are all about the same size and shape so that they’ll cook evenly. I stay away from the overly thick chicken breasts because they take a lot longer to cook.
- The marinade can be made up to one day before you plan to use it.
- You can make a double batch and use the leftovers in other dishes. I like to add diced grilled chicken to salads, pasta dishes and pizza.
It’s best to cook this chicken over medium heat, as you don’t want the exterior to burn before the inside is cooked all the way through.
Chicken breast needs to grill for about 6-8 minutes per side. The grill time depends on the size of your chicken breasts. A medium sized (4 ounce) chicken breast will typically cook in 10-12 minutes total. A larger breast (6-8 ounces) can take 20 minutes or longer to be done.
The best way to gauge whether your chicken is done is to use a meat thermometer to test the thickest part of the breast. The thermometer should read at least 165 degrees F.
Grilled chicken breast leftovers will stay fresh in an airtight container in a refrigerator for up to 3 days. It’s a great choice for meal prep.
Grilled Chicken Variations
You can add other ingredients to your chicken marinade to customize it to your tastes.
- Spicy: Add crushed red pepper flakes or hot sauce to taste.
- Fajita: Try marinating your chicken in my chicken fajita marinade.
- Herb Lover’s: Add additional tablespoon of fresh chopped herbs such as green onions, rosemary, sage or dill. Scrape off the large pieces of herbs before you cook your chicken.
- Jerk Style: Marinate the chicken in my jerk chicken marinade.
- Asian Style: Use a blend of olive oil, toasted sesame oil, lime juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and garlic. Omit the thyme leaves.
- Chili Lime: Use the chicken marinade in my burrito bowls with chicken recipe.
Grilled chicken breast is always a total crowd pleaser, and this version is the best of the best! Serve this chicken at your next barbecue and watch the rave reviews come in.
More Grilling Recipes
Grilled Potatoes in Foil
40 minutes mins
Grilled Shrimp Skewers
15 minutes mins
Grilled Asparagus in Foil
20 minutes mins
Marinated Salmon with Garlic and Herbs
20 minutes mins
25 minutes mins
Love This Recipe?
Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
Grilled Chicken Breast
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon parsley leaves chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Place the chicken breasts in a bowl or resealable gallon sized bag.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the olive oil, brown sugar, soy sauce, lemon zest, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken. Marinate for at least 1 hour, or up to 24 hours.
- Heat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to medium. Add the chicken in a single layer.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes per side, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken registers 165 degrees F.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with additional parsley for garnish, then slice and serve.
- Choose chicken breasts that are all about the same size and shape so that they’ll cook evenly.
- I stay away from the overly thick chicken breasts because they take a lot longer to cook.
- It’s best to cook this chicken over medium heat, as you don’t want the exterior to burn before the inside is cooked all the way through.
This marinade sounds perfect for the chicken! Such a delicious summer dinner, that the family will enjoy.
I have made this marinade twice now and it was excellent both times! This is go to marinade for grilling chicken breast from now on.
I made this recipe for July 4th! It was delicious. The chicken was very tasty and well seasoned. My family & friends enjoyed this recipe.
It was delicious. This will be my new grilled chicken recipe😊Thank you.
Very Tasty. Will make again.
Excellent flavour. Definitely will add to our “favourite” list. Thank you for posting.
The marinade was so tasty and the chicken came out very moist!
This was so nice and easy to make during these crazy times. Thank you so much for sharing. I’m going to try it on Salmon next.
Delicious ,chicken was moist and surprisingly didn’t burn with brown sugar in marinade. Next time will do the same but add a little heat
Delicious marinade! It will be my new go-to, for sure. Highly recommended!!
I put the chicken on the BBQ and it was delicious!
What a fun recipe! I’ve got to try your marinade. I do grilled chicken at least once a week!
Just made this. Followed the recipe to the letter.
My entire family loved it. Chicken was super moist. And the marinade added the perfect flvor. Mot to much, not to little. Judt right.
Thanks again for a great recipe.
Fort Worth TX
Oh my goodness! How mouthwatering this grilled chicken looks!
This marinade sounds amazing! Anytime I don’t have to run to the store to purchase a jar, I am in love.