This grilled zucchini is bathed in a flavorful garlic and herb marinade, then cooked to perfection on the grill. An easy side dish that’s quick to make and always gets rave reviews!
I adore grilled vegetables, grilled asparagus in foil, grilled potatoes in foil and this amazingly delicious zucchini. Once you’ve tried zucchini on the grill, you won’t want to cook it any other way.
When the warmer months roll around, I find myself eating zucchini and yellow squash on a regular basis. Zucchini is inexpensive, widely available and healthy too! My favorite way to eat zucchini is in this grilled zucchini recipe. It’s so simple with ingredients you probably already have on hand, yet it tastes so delicious!
For a grilled feast enjoy this zucchini with main dishes like grilled salmon, grilled chicken tenders and grilled lamb chops. It’s so satisfying to have your favorite foods sizzling on the grill!
Table of Contents
Grilled Zucchini Ingredients
This dish contains zucchini which is flavored with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Fresh parsley is used as a garnish.
How Do You Make Grilled Zucchini?
The first step in this recipe is to prepare your marinade, which is a blend of olive oil, fresh lemon juice, dried herbs, garlic and seasonings. You’ll want to let your zucchini soak up the marinade for at least 20 minutes, but it’s better if you have the time to let it sit for at least 2 hours. After the zucchini has marinated, it goes onto the grill. I like to use my charcoal grill. If it’s not grilling weather, I opt for for my indoor grill pan on the stove. Grill the zucchini until it is tender. Remove the zucchini from the grill. Sprinkle a little parsley of the top and serve.
Tips For The Perfect Dish
- I like to use small zucchini that I’ve cut into quarters. Cooking with larger pieces of zucchini helps to prevent it from getting mushy on the grill. If you prefer to slice your zucchini you can, just make sure the slices are at least 1/2 inch thick.
- I use dried Italian seasoning in my marinade, which is widely available in the spice aisle of most grocery stores. You can also make your own Italian seasoning.
- Fresh lemon juice is best here, do not use the kind in a bottle.
- I like to garnish my grilled zucchini with fresh herbs such as chopped parsley. If you don’t have parsley on hand, other great options are fresh dill, basil or chives. You could also garnish your zucchini with grated parmesan cheese or a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
Set the zucchini across the grate to get nice grill marks. Remember to flip the zucchini so that each side has grill marks.
Zucchini is full of vitamins and minerals including folate, riboflavin, Vitamin C and manganese. It is low in calories and high in fiber. Zucchini is full of antioxidants and anti inflammatory compounds, so it’s a great way to enjoy your veggies and stay healthy at the same time.
There are a few different slicing methods that work well for grilled zucchini. The first is to quarter your zucchini like I’ve done in this recipe. You can also cut your zucchini lengthwise into long planks. The final option is to cut your zucchini into slices at a sharp diagonal. This will create slices that are large enough to avoid falling through the grill grates.
The best way to prevent soggy zucchini is to make sure you don’t overcook it! The more cooked the zucchini is, the softer it will get.
Ways To Use Grilled Zucchini
You can eat grilled zucchini as a side dish, but I often make extra grilled zucchini to use in other recipes during the week.
- Pasta: This zucchini recipe is the perfect addition to zucchini fettuccine alfredo.
- Salad: Coarsely chop your zucchini and add it to a green salad.
- Sandwiches: Layer grilled zucchini with roasted peppers, fresh mozzarella and pesto for an amazing sandwich.
- Pizza: Chop your zucchini and add it on top of a frozen cheese pizza.
Once you try this grilled zucchini, you’ll find yourself eating it all summer long!
More Veggie Side Dishes
20 minutes mins
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
20 minutes mins
Broccoli with Cheese Sauce
15 minutes mins
Garlic Mushrooms in Butter Sauce
10 minutes mins
Bacon Roasted Brussels Sprouts
30 minutes mins
Love This Recipe?
Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
- 1 pound small zucchini ends trimmed off, then cut into quarters lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves chopped
- lemon wedges for serving optional
- Place the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and minced garlic in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add the zucchini to the bowl and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium high heat.
- Add the zucchini to the grill in a single layer. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until tender and browned. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Remove zucchini from the grill and place on a serving plate. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges if desired.
- I like to use small zucchini that I’ve cut into quarters. Cooking with larger pieces of zucchini helps to prevent it from getting mushy on the grill.
- I use dried Italian seasoning in my marinade, which is widely available in the spice aisle of most grocery stores. If you don’t have Italian seasoning, you can use equal parts of dried parsley, oregano and basil.
- This recipe will work on an outdoor grill or on an indoor grill pan.
- Set the zucchini across the grate to get nice grill marks. Remember to flip the zucchini so that each side has grill marks.
Loved this grilled zucchinis. They’re so delicious with the garlic and seasonings. I just ate the whole zucchini – no sharing!
We fired up the grill for the first time this weekend and used this recipe for zucchini. It was so delicious and perfectly seasoned!
Loved the seasoning on this! And we just barely grilled it, so it would not get soggy. So good!
This is so good! The perfect summer side dish!
Totally dog how easy this is. Love veggies on the grill!