This fry sauce is a blend of savory ingredients that’s perfect for serving alongside french fries and hamburgers. Fry sauce takes just 5 minutes to put together and turns plain french fries into something extraordinary.
I’m a huge french fry fan, whether it’s baked potato wedges, sweet potato fries or traditional french fries. The best way to enjoy fries is with a side of fry sauce, and it couldn’t be any easier to make!
Have you ever tried fry sauce? If not, you’ve been missing out! It’s a rich and creamy blend of ingredients that really adds a lot of flavor to any type of french fry. You’ll find yourself making this sauce on a regular basis.
What is fry sauce made of?
The base of most fry sauces is a mixture of ketchup and mayonnaise. From there, a number of flavor enhancers can be added such as Worcestershire sauce, sugar, vinegar, hot sauce, pickles, mustard and spices. This particular recipe uses the traditional base, along with pickle juice, Worcestershire sauce and a blend of spices.
Where is fry sauce popular?
This condiment became commonplace in Utah, and its popularity spread to nearby states including Idaho. Many burger restaurants now offer fry sauce as a standard menu item, both in the Utah region and nationwide.
How do you make fry sauce?
This sauce is easy to make and can be on the table in a manner of minutes. Start by placing ketchup, mayonnaise, sugar, pickle brine, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, smoked paprika and hot sauce in a bowl. Stir until well combined. Serve immediately, or store for later use.
Tips for the perfect sauce
- I prefer to use ketchup that’s made with real sugar versus high fructose corn syrup.
- If you’re looking to save a few calories, you can use light mayo instead of the full fat variety. Use a high quality brand of mayonnaise such as Best Food’s, Hellman’s or Duke’s.
- Smoked paprika can be found in the spice aisle of most grocery stores, and it adds a lot of great flavor to this dip. If you don’t have it on hand, you can substitute regular paprika.
- This sauce stays fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days. I don’t recommend freezing this one, as it can separate and get watery when thawed.
- Fry sauce also works as a condiment for hamburgers, hot dogs or chicken nuggets. It also makes a great dipping sauce for other fried foods.
While this sauce is delicious as is, you can add other ingredients to the mix to customize it to your tastes.
- Spicy: For a sauce with a spicy kick, increase the hot sauce to 1-2 teaspoons. You can use traditional hot sauce, sriracha sauce or buffalo wing sauce.
- Mustard: Feel free to add up to 1 teaspoon of yellow or Dijon mustard.
- Sweetener: You can substitute brown sugar or honey instead of the granulated sugar.
- Smoky: Double the amount of smoked paprika, or for a smoky flavor with a little heat, use chipotle pepper powder or a canned chipotle pepper that’s been pureed.
This sauce enhances the flavor of french fries and other deep fried foods, and is a must-try condiment. All of your family members and friends will be asking for a copy of the recipe.
Recipes that go well with fry sauce
- Beer Battered Fried Green Beans
- Avocado Fries
- Deep Fried Pickles
- Fried Mushrooms
- Crispy Fried Shrimp
Fry Sauce Video
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon pickle brine
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce or more to taste
- Place the mayonnaise, ketchup, pickle brine, granulated sugar, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, smoked paprika and hot sauce in a bowl.
- Whisk until smooth. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.