These coconut pineapple muffins are a lightened up treat that go perfectly with a cup of tea for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MeAndMyTea #CollectiveBias
So now that we’re a little over a week into the new year, who is still going strong with their resolutions? I am not really a resolution kind of person; rather, I feel like it’s better to incorporate little changes over time rather than trying to make a major change in one fell swoop. Like everyone else, I am looking to incorporate healthier eating habits into my life. Instead of giving up all of my favorite foods at once, I’ve been swapping out ingredients in my recipes to create healthier alternatives. One of my favorite afternoon rituals is a cup of tea and a pastry. Rather than giving up sweet treats altogether, I’ve created a healthier coconut pineapple muffin that satisfies my sweet tooth with less sugar and fat.
To make these muffins a little lighter, I omitted the butter entirely and added back in a little bit of heart healthy oil. I also reduced the amount of sugar in the recipe and swapped out part of the white flour for whole wheat flour. The glaze is optional, but you really only need a teaspoon per muffin so it doesn’t add much in the way of sugar or calories. These coconut pineapple muffins pair perfectly with my favorite Bigelow Lemon Ginger Tea. I always pick up a box of tea when I’m at Walmart, it’s located in the coffee aisle.
Here in California the weather has been awfully dreary lately, and more and more I’ve found myself drinking tea to warm up. When I pair my Bigelow Lemon Ginger Tea with one of these muffins, it almost feels like I’m taking a little tropical vacation, even if it’s only for 15 minutes!
We’ve still got a few months of winter left, so why not warm up with a cup of hot tea and a little treat that won’t break your diet? You can check out the Bigelow website for more information about their teas. Did you make any New Year’s resolutions? I’d love to hear about them!
Coconut Pineapple Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour I prefer white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup fresh or canned pineapple coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- cooking spray
- For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons light coconut milk
- slices pineapple and shaved coconut for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine both flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine coconut milk, oil and egg in a bowl; add to flour mixture. Stir just until moist. Gently fold in pineapple and coconut flakes. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups lined with paper wrappers.
- Bake at 400° for 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove muffins from pan; cool on a wire rack. After the muffins have cooled, combine powdered sugar and coconut milk in a bowl. Drizzle the glaze over the muffins. Garnish with pineapple slices and coconut shavings if desired.