This Oven Roasted Butternut Squash with Root Vegetables and Honey is a mixture of squash, carrots and sweet potatoes tossed in a honey glaze and roasted to perfection.
I’m going to be honest here: my kids aren’t exactly thrilled when I put a pile of vegetables on their plate. We’ve started playing this game at dinner time where we clap and cheer when one of the girls eats a vegetable. Sounds kind of silly and annoying right? IT’S WORKING. They get competitive with each other to see who can get the most cheers, and before long they’ve eaten every bite. I don’t think kids need heaps of praise every single time they do something right, but sometimes they need that extra bit of motivation to break through the initial resistance. This recipe for Oven Roasted Butternut Squash with Root Vegetables and Honey is so good your kids will probably eat it without a cheer squad!
There’s a reason why so many people introduce their babies to the orange vegetables first – they’re loaded with nutrition AND naturally sweet.
I am using a combination of sweet potatoes, butternut squash and carrots for this recipe. The vegetables are tossed in a mixture of honey and olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper, and roasted until tender and caramelized.
I don’t use a ton of honey in these honey glazed root vegetables and squash. The honey is really just to enhance the natural sweetness of the vegetables.
While the ingredient list is minimal, there is some prep work involved in peeling and cutting the vegetables. Have you ever peeled a butternut squash before? Not the most fun activity. If you’re short on time many stores sell peeled and cubed squash. I typically do the prep work for these vegetables the night before or sometime during the day when the kids are playing nicely. That way when it’s time for dinner I can just pop them in the oven and worry about something else. Like my main course or if my toddler is trying to climb on top of the kitchen table for the 28th time that day.
Here’s to hoping your picky eaters like this recipe for Oven Roasted Butternut Squash with Root Vegetables and Honey as much as mine do!
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups of butternut squash, seeded peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups of carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups of sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 and ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 and ½ tablespoons honey
- kosher salt and pepper
- coarse salt and sage leaves for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil coated in cooking spray.
- Mix together the olive oil and honey in a small bowl.
- Spread the vegetables out on the sheet pan in a single layer.
- Drizzle the olive oil mixture over the top, use your hands to toss the vegetables around to evenly coat. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender and starting to caramelize. If desired, sprinkle with sage leaves and coarse salt before serving (optional).