This recipe for Christmas crack (aka Saltine Toffee) is a super easy sweet and salty treat that’s crazy addicting!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
So right about now you may be wondering, what exactly is Christmas crack? It’s saltine toffee, and I think the name relates to the fact that it’s made with crackers and is also super addicting. This salty sweet combo is SUPER easy to make, and it’s a unique treat that will have all of your guests begging for the recipe.
This Christmas crack recipe has just 5 ingredients. The base of this saltine toffee is actual crackers, grab a sleeve of them and line them up on a sheet pan! A mixture of brown sugar and butter goes over the top of the saltines and the whole thing bakes in the oven for a few minutes. After the toffee comes out of the oven, a handful of chocolate chips get sprinkled over the top. If you wait a few minutes, the heat from the toffee will melt the chocolate so that you can spread it evenly. If your chocolate doesn’t melt enough to be spreadable, you can return the pan to the oven for an extra minute or two to get everything nice and melty.
The final touch is holiday sprinkles – add the sprinkles as soon as you’re done with the chocolate layer so that they’ll adhere to the chocolate as it dries. You could use chopped pecans or walnuts instead of sprinkles if you prefer, but I really like how festive this Christmas crack looks with the sprinkles.
The final step is to let the toffee chill to firm up, then cut into pieces and serve! This tastes a lot like traditional toffee, but it’s way easier to make and the crackers add a hint of salt that really counterbalances the sugar. I make this saltine toffee every year, and people ALWAYS ask me for the recipe, so be prepared to share it with your friends and family!
Christmas Crack (Saltine Toffee)
- 40 saltine crackers
- 2 sticks of butter (1 cup)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups chocolate chips semisweet or milk chocolate
- 1/2 cup holiday sprinkles or 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- cooking spray
- Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray or alternatively you can use a nonstick silicone baking mat.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the crackers in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Place the butter and brown sugar in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes.
- Pour the brown sugar mixture over the crackers and spread with a spatula to coat.
- Place the sheet pan in the oven and bake for 3-5 minutes, or until bubbling.
- Remove the pan from the oven and immediately scatter the chocolate chips over the top. Place the pan back in the oven for another 2-3 minutes to melt the chocolate. Spread the chocolate evenly over the top.
- Place the sprinkles on top of the chocolate. Let the toffee sit until completely cool, either at room temperature or you can refrigerate.
- Cut into pieces and serve.