This recipe for Cajun shrimp and sausage pasta is sauteed shrimp and smoked sausage with colorful vegetables, all served over a creamy fettuccine pasta. Dinner’s ready in less than 30 minutes with plenty of bold flavors!
Pasta is always a hit at my house and this Cajun shrimp and sausage pasta is no exception. Fresh veggies, succulent shrimp and smoked sausage served over a creamy fettuccine – all of my favorite things!
This pasta starts off with some shrimp and sausage. I used a medium sized shrimp and a smoked turkey kielbasa sausage. Andouille sausage would be a more authentic choice but it tends to be a bit spicier which is not appreciated by my kids. While the pasta is cooking, the shrimp and sausage get sauteed with peppers and onions. After the pasta is cooked, it gets tossed in a super simple cream sauce then topped with the shrimp and sausage mixture along with some fresh tomatoes and parsley.
I went with both yellow and green peppers just because it looks prettier – you can use whatever bell pepper variety you prefer. Not all Cajun seasoning is made equal – some have a bit more heat than others. I started with a fairly conservative two teaspoons but you can most definitely add more if you prefer.
This Cajun shrimp and sausage pasta is absolutely perfect for a busy weeknight but it’s also impressive enough to serve for a special occasion. Add a loaf of bread and a side salad and you’ve got a feast!
This Cajun shrimp and sausage pasta has quickly become part of our regular dinner rotation, in fact I’ve started keeping both shrimp and sausage in the freezer so that I can make it any time I want. It’s fast, filling, pretty to look at and a crowd pleaser – what more could you ask for?!
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined (you can either remove the tails or leave them on for a more elegant presentation)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 8 ounces smoked sausage such as andouille or kielbasa, cut into slices
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (or more to taste)
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1 cup of finely diced bell peppers (I used green and yellow)
- 1 cup of finely diced seeded tomatoes
- 10 ounces fettuccine pasta (other long pasta varieties will also work)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add the pasta and cook according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and peppers and cook for 4-6 minutes or until softened. Season with 1 teaspoon of the Cajun seasoning.
- Add the sausage and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Season the shrimp with the remaining teaspoon of Cajun seasoning and add them to the pan, cooking for 2-3 minutes or until pink and opaque.
- Turn off the heat an stir in the tomatoes.
- Drain the pasta and return to the pot it cooked in. Turn the heat on medium high and add the cream along with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until sauce has started to thicken.
- Place the shrimp and sausage mixture on top of the pasta and sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.