This recipe for baked buffalo wings is ultra crispy baked chicken wings tossed in a classic spicy sauce and served with a lightened up blue cheese dip. Snack away with less guilt!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
I absolutely love chicken wings, especially when they’re extra crispy. When I see buffalo wings on the menu at restaurants, I can’t resist! As much as I love wings, I hate the idea of frying them – so much mess and so many calories! These baked buffalo wings are my own version that are baked instead of fried, yet still come out plenty crispy. Serve them with a skinny blue cheese dip and you’ve got an awesome snack or meal with less fat and calories.
The secret to these buffalo chicken wings is all in the brine. I brine my chicken wings which infuses them with flavor and also helps them to crisp up in the oven. It only takes a few minutes to make the brine, but you do need to plan in advance because the chicken needs to be brined for at least 2 hours. There is such a thing as over-brining, so don’t let your wings stay in the brine for more than 8 hours or they may end up overly salty. The brined wings bake in the oven until crispy and deep golden brown, and then are tossed in the 3 ingredient buffalo sauce right before serving.
In my opinion, you can’t have baked buffalo wings without a creamy sauce. Blue cheese dressing is always my sauce of choice, and I’ve made a lighter version here by using a blend of Greek yogurt and light sour cream instead of the traditional mayonnaise.
I love that I can have one of my favorite restaurant indulgences at home for less effort (and less calories!). My husband also loves these wings, and if I’m serving them as a meal I set some aside without the sauce so that my spice-hating kids can also enjoy some crispy chicken delights. A winning situation all around!
Baked Buffalo Wings with Blue Cheese Sauce
- For the buffalo wings:
- 2 1/2 pounds party style chicken wings or whole chicken wings that have been halved crosswise
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 tablespoon of barbecue, poultry or grill seasoning
- 8 cups water
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup hot sauce such as Frank's Red Hot
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- For the blue cheese sauce:
- 1/2 cup low or non fat plain greek yogurt
- ½ cup low fat sour cream
- ⅓ cup crumbled blue cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives or parsley
- For the wings:
- Bring one cup of water to a boil (I use the microwave) and pour the water into a very large bowl. Add the salt and honey to the water and stir until the salt has dissolved.
- Add the garlic and seasoning to the bowl. Pour 7 cups of very cold water over everything and stir until combined.
- Place the chicken wings in the brine, cover the bowl and put it into the refrigerator. Chill for at least 2 hours but no more than 8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Remove the chicken wings from the brine and pat dry with a paper towel. Place the wings in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until wings are a deep golden brown.
- Whisk together the hot sauce, melted butter and sugar. Pour it over the wings and toss to coat.
- For the blue cheese sauce: Combine all of the ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to one day. Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.